Mac running extremely slow

NancyA

6 hours ago, NancyA said:

machine ran great for 3 years

It's a laptop. That's typical. I hate laptops. I keep saying you get 3-4 years out of Mac Laptops and your more expensive Windows Laptops. (around $1500-ish.) Nobody believes me and they keep buying them. Your $500 laptops get you 12-18 months before they become "Too Slow." $1000 laptops, about 24 Months.

I also say that Apple does planned obsolescence. With each OS upgrade, things get slower and slower. Same thing with iPhones...but I'm not going to go Full-Tinfoil Hat, it's just my personal experience. The current CEO has stated within the last week that "...repairs hurt the bottom line." Meaning Apple wants you back in the market sooner rather than later, so 3-4 years is about all you get out of their products. Now that doesn't mean that the products break, it just they start running slower and slower over time. I'm typing this on my 2009 iMac, and I've had the same software on it for years. Of course things like Photoshop and the OS have been upgraded and I'm currently on High Sierra. It runs slower than it used to and it started with going past OS Mavericks.

I wonder if there is any truth to the rumors.

Also, it could be something simple as a clogged fan. Heat is the nemesis of electronics. Lithium Ion batteries also wear out after so many charging cycles without warning. Three years is about when they need to be replaced. Hmm...I'm wondering if you should be saving up for a new computer? 

Now for the ID.me. You have to had to install it. It's some sort of Identity Thing? Here is the website. You haven't installed any stupid "Find the Best Deals on Amazon while you shop!!" browser Add-on nonsense, have you? The reason you get deals is they data-mine you and track what you do on your computer, and then sell that information. Ain't nothin' free. Hell, I'm sure you pay tax on the air you breathe, it's just rolled into your property taxes. LOL!! 

The _windowserver process is a part of the Operating System. Especially Mojave. When you upgraded, all bets are off. I wish you would have stayed on High Sierra. Mojave has all sorts of quirks, and unless you have a brand new Mac-whatever, you really can't take advantage of all of its features. "Oooh Dark Mode." Yeah...I'd rather not have all sorts of problems with Photoshop...but that's just me.

You confirmed what I suspected.  I have used a laptop for 15 years (medical reasons so it is what it is) and they general run me $3000 which is what the mac was.  I try to get the best video card, highest RAM, and largest HD at the time of purchase because I know whatever I get, tomorrow it will be behind the times.   This is my first mac but I basically replaced my PC every 3 years.  I was "told/under the impression" a mac would last longer.   Yeah right! 

I only upgraded Mojave about 2 weeks ago when this mess started.  I truly wish I had asked you first.  Is there a way to revert back to high sierra? 

I figured out the ID. me.  It's Apple's military discount page.  I can probably delete it and then redo it each time I need to access that page--would that be of benefit to the system you think?.  NO I do not do "find the deals on amazon"!! :) 

I'm getting a new battery as soon as I can release my computer for 3-5 days.  Evidently the 2015 battery is glued in and from what I read, not recommended I try to replace it myself.  Maybe (hopefully!) that is the real kicker here.  I'm going to have them check some things while they have it but thought it prudent to get it cleaned off/upgraded first.

And yes I'm sure I'm paying taxes on the air I breath come April 15! 

I'll let you know if a new battery speeds things up once I get it!  I'm attaching a current activity monitor file which shows average for me when PS isn't opened.  Is that "adobe desktop service" something that needs to be running?  I'm clueless on what all these things are so I tend to just let them be--I'm referring to the comment "You have a bunch of stuff running".  I just feel this issue is PS as everything runs ok until I open that then everything goes to pot. 

Thank you so much for all the helpful information.   At least we've tried!

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 12.04.33 PM.png

New update!  I just called apple to make an appointment to get a new battery.  Warning bells on their end went off and they want to "capture" my computer which means they want it.  I will either get a new one identical or I can do an upgrade for the difference.  Not a clue yet how that works but it appears there is something going on and they want to tear it apart.  I'm not complaining other than I see being without a computer for probably a week and then the headache of reloading everything.  Live is always interesting!!

Thank you!!

The _windowserver is part of Mojave and is supposed to be there. It handles the things you see on your display. Leave that one alone  

The ID.me is some sort of software or browser add-in. See if you can find it using CleanMyMac and uninstall it from there. I have no idea what it is either.