I'll edit a photo and then go to soft proof and the photo looks horrible.  Very dull.  I have been trying to re-edit them with the soft proofing turned on to get them to match my original edit.  Should I not be doing this?  Except in most cases I have to edit them a bit in order for them to actually print right, otherwise they are definitely duller than they should be.  These are two examples that I just screenshot. The ones on the left are with soft proof.

950542424_Screenshot2019-03-1917_12_13.thumb.png.9926ff862b0b79fe5b19e43b14617a3a.png250534208_Screenshot2019-03-1917_14_12.thumb.png.64980be53a203280f4225f07699de582.png  

Also, I've read that you said to turn off the simulate paper color.  Doing so definitely looks closer to my original edit, but the instructions from the place where I print say to check it.  Should I just ignore them?

I thought I had to. ?  I did the last time I got prints and they turned out fine.  I didn't the time before and they were too dark and just "off" somehow.  Should I not worry about it?  I am calibrated but it's been a bit so I should probably do it again.

Edited by badwolf1009

Soft-proofing is only something you do when you are about to print a photo with one or more VERY vivid colours in it.  Neither of the photos above have such colours in them; so there is no need to soft-proof.

Your monitor calibration should give you a sufficient screen-to-print match for all "normal" photos.

Make sure you follow my calibration instructions here.