Moire

Pat

I know you've been asked about this a gazillion times.  In this case, the soldiers are actually on a movie screen just beneath the windows at the top.  Is there a quick way to remove the color moire? This isn't an image I want to spend a ton of time on, but if there is an easy way to get rid of the moire, I'd love to do it.

PDH_20160131_N7K_4390s.jpg

PDH_20160131_N7K_4390_snip.jpg

Yay!  So the first step is to make sure there is no sharpening being applied to your raw file.  In the Detail panel, make sure the Sharpening Amount slider is at 0; and also click on the blue link at the bottom of ACR to make sure sharpening is set to "none" there.

Then process the raw file and bring it into Photoshop again, and take another 100% crop for me.

The solution I'm about to provide isn't perfect, I'm afraid.  Some stripiness will remain.  But it will be a heck of a lot better, and I hope you'll be satisfied with the improvement.

First, duplicate the Background layer, and immediately run Filter>Noise>Despeckle.  Then add a mask to that layer, but don't worry about masking anything yet.

Then add a Channel Mixer adjustment layer, and immediately clip it (Ctrl Alt G) to the despeckled layer.  Click the "Monochrome" button, then enter 0/80/20 for the three values (screenshot below).  This will make the entire photo black-and-white, and importantly, remove all the worst striping from that area.

pat-moire.thumb.png.7e7ef70085f5247da4f1

Then return to the Despeckled layer, invert the mask to black, then zoom in and start carefully painting over the moire areas.  Where you paint, you should see the worst of the little texture disappear, as well as the colour of course.

Once you've done all that, evaluate how much you hate the stripes that remain.  If you hate them badly enough,  go to the Channel Mixer layer then add a new blank layer above it, and turn it into a dodge and burn layer (clip it to the others if you wish).  The with a really low opacity brush, start dodging the worst of the remaining stripes, until your patience gives out and you run for the liquor cabinet.

Can you show me how it turns out?  Let me know if you have any problems following the instructions.

Damien, thank you!  Here it is.  I did a little  with dodge and burn - but I'm short on both patience and liquor!  I can live with this.  Thank you so much!

PDH_20160131_N7K_4390_snip3.jpg

• Like 3

I'm really happy with the final version of this image, Damien.  I applied techniques from your layers and levels class and really made this image pop.  Thank you!  Your beer is on the way.  Enjoy it (although it might be a bit early in the day for you!)

7 minutes ago, Pat said:

I'm really happy with the final version of this image, Damien.  I applied techniques from your layers and levels class and really made this image pop.  Thank you!  Your beer is on the way.  Enjoy it (although it might be a bit early in the day for you!)

Well, it's just after lunch, and it's really stinking hot here today, so it is very tempting!

• Like 1