I mac is running slow

Wow. You are running out of RAM and even Swap Space, which is an area used on the HD that's treated as RAM. (Scratch Disk, et. al.) Unfortunately, your iMac is 8 years old and is maxed out on RAM @ 16GB. What camera are you shooting with? How big are your Raw Files SOOC?

Are you running Photoshop CC? Have you tried running an older version and not the "Latest and Greatest?" I'm wondering if the latest round of Adobe updates are requiring more horsepower from your computer, which unfortunately isn't there. Besides LR and PS/Bridge, is there anything else running? I'm probably sure Safari is with multiple Tabs running. You might want to close down any browsers while working with Adobe's programs. 

At this point, a new computer for you isn't off the table as an option. Of course this is like curing the patient via killing them, but 8 years is 8 years and the average time-frame that a computer lasts. So before clicking buy, we should eliminate all possibilities first.

How about increasing the Cache Size form 100000 to 300000? You should have the room on your main HD. Of course after making these changes, you'll need to exit and restart. Right now you only have 100MB-ish reserved for Bridge's Cache. If you have a fancy high MP camera, like a Nikon D850, you might have to increase some settings. Once you get over 24MP, Raw files get harder to work with on older computers.

Where do I go to up the cash size?

Here is the screenshot of the scan while I'm trying to work. 

I have a question so I'm not sure what the differences are . What is better? to go in Photoshop CC cloud and work or to go and open application and run them that way? 

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 6.15.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 6.18.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 6.18.50 PM.png

You are in the same position that I was last year. I kept running out of RAM. Surely 16GB should be enough, right?

Wrong.

It seems that with each update, the current Mac version of Adobe CC wants more and more resources. Combine that with High Sierra taking a CHUNK for itself, which I think is intentional to get you to buy a new Mac, makes for a recipe of headaches.

Currently, my new Smokin' Fast iMac has 40GB of RAM. I bought it with 8GB and added a 32GB kit from Crucial.com. Without anything running, just High Sierra and the Adobe CC / Calibration Apps, Microsoft One-Drive, etc. running in the background, I'm down to 29GB-ish...well at least that what CleanMyMac X states, and before I open ANY images in PS. That's 11GB for just the OS and a few background Apps.

>> You are in the same situation but only have 16GB to start with. 16GB minus 11GB leaves you with 5GB to play with. <<

That's why you are having your issues. You are out of RAM and can't go any higher. As soon as you open a couple of images, boom...you have used up your remaining 5GB.  Then Photoshop / Bridge / LR starts relying more and more on the Hard Drive to supplement RAM with cache files, and Hard Drives are a lot slower than RAM, which then results in the "slowness" you are experiencing.

You have a 2011 iMac that is 8 years old. That's about the time-frame that they get replaced. I'm sorry to say this but a new computer is in your future. Regardless what anyone's opinion is; I would also tell them the same thing if this was a Windows Computer with the same problem. It's not hardware related, it's the stupid software being more complicated today than ever before. The funny thing is, I can see this happening on the Windows side as well. 16GB is the MINIMUM you'd want with either a Mac or Windows computer when running Adobe's current CC software. Those that are running CS5 or CS6, they won't have this issue until they upgrade, then they will be in the same situation as you when they do.

I have a feeling you are the first of many that is going to post a "My 2009 - 2012 Computer is running so slow. It's complaining about lack of memory...." type of question. Unfortunately, the answer to how to fix your problem is to replace your computer with one that can go higher than 32GB of RAM. In my humble opinion, you really want 32GB of RAM if you are editing photos on a Mac...well at least upgrade to 24GB if necessary. The current iMacs that were just released, well the one I configured for you, officially goes up to 64GB but OWC tested and confirmed it can go as high as 128GB, which makes sense with the current chipset and CPU. Even if you purchased a new $3800 Smokin' Fast iMac, 16GB (what we configured and is in your shopping cart) just is not enough. You will also need to budget for extra RAM on top of that $3800. The tough part for those who are reading this thread and have a current Mac Laptop that is maxed out at 16GB are also likely in the same situation with the same recommendation from me: New Laptop. SMDH. Money-Money-Money.

So think long and hard about your budget. Don't let a fancy-guy like me talk you into blowing over $4000 on a iMac. That is a chunk of cash to spend all at once. The funny part is, you'd still be spending around $2500 for a similar Windows Gaming System and have to deal with data-conversion. Chances are you are like me and would stay on a Mac. You do not need to upgrade all the components to run Photoshop well. Honestly the $1999 iMac configuration is a good buy. Sure it doesn't have the beefy CPU and fast SSD drive, but it is a more digestible amount of money to spend.

Of course, my iMac is Smokin' Fast and a joy to use. It should be for the amount I paid for it. LOL!!!

Im gonna get what you put together for me and add the 32GB of ram. It only makes sense. I did get a discount though. if you go to purchase underneath government there's all kinds of  discounts  so I think I got like $300 off  :) 

• Haha 1

Sweet!! I love discounts!!!

Maybe get the iMac with 16GB, and that leaves you two free slots (out of a total of four) to put in two 16GB Sticks for a Total of 48GB! I think this kit will work but you might want to contact Crucial.com directly and see if it's compatible with a 2019 iMac. Remember, they just released this new model with a new RAM spec. The new 27" iMacs use DDR4-2666MHz RAM sticks.

Oh, and I just saw the latest benchmarks for the iMac you are about to purchase. Man, I wish I would have waited 8 Months. Talk about a performance boost. You will be quite happy for a long time!! One more thing, the new iMac screens use a different style LED, and I think you are using the ColorMunki? If so I have updated instructions that don't seem to be on the website so let me know. Have your test prints handy because things have changed a lot in 8 years. One think that is good is that Adobe finally figured out how to deal with a 5000K Retina Screen, so things don't look tiny, in fact these new iMac Screens look like the 27" models from your era of iMac, only there is A LOT more detail when you zoom in.

Keep me posted. I want to help you see this through until the end. Upgrading the RAM yourself is VERY EASY to do, it's just a simple access panel in the back. So when you are ready to install the extra sticks, let me know. Plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating the process, plus my own experience that aren't covered in the videos. ;)

I appreciate all your help so much. You're very knowledgeable.

That sounds like the way to go.

I do have the Color Munk but it's so old the whole outside of it is all gummy and sticky for some reason so I'm just going to purchase a new one. What one do you recommend?

Yeah, that’s one of the things that go wrong with the ColorMunki. Especially if you live in a warmer climate. 

With the Mac, you have limited controls so you don’t need anything fancy. A Spyder5Pro is fine so is a ColorMunki. Just be sure to download the latest versions of the calibration software from the manufacturer’s website. 

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

So I receive my new computer and it's as fast as lightning!!! Thanks for your help with that! 

I just got my new colormonk display in the mail but the problem is I don't have a slot on my iMac (DVD) to load the software. What do I do? 

Just now, Maggie Collins said:

I just got my new colormonk display in the mail but the problem is I don't have a slot on my iMac (DVD) to load the software. What do I do? 

The software on the disk is probably out of date anyway.  Download the latest from their website.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/cal_CMD_mac.html

• Thanks 1

The main issue with places like Best Buy, B&H, etc. is that they just have the "Stock" models available, which doesn't give you any huge choices. Meaning, you have to configure / purchase the iMac from Apple to get one with the most performance. I just checked Best Buy's website. You can choose a stock iMac and pick your HD Capacity but it's just a Fusion Drive and not a SSD Drive.

What's a Fusion Drive? It's a Traditional Spinning HD with some memory chips from a SSD, usually 32GB or less. Basically, the OS moves files to the SSD chips on the drive for a performance boost, usually boot-times, but the other 99.9999% of your data will reside on the slower traditional HD side. So for the best performance, opt for the true SSD choice. Do not get a 500GB HD trying to save money. A SSD Drive won't do you a damn bit of good if its full, regardless how fast it is. There are several posts & members here who have found this out the hard way. I'd rather you spend the money on a SSD drive at the time of purchase and get extra RAM later than to cheap-out on the HD.