Web image preparation

Hi Damien, I hope I have posted this to the right page- please feel free to move if not.

I work for an organisation and they have asked me to save images at 1920 x 1080 at 72ppi.  The images are for the organisations website.  I entered these exact values into Ps but it has cropped my image.   

How do I get round this please?

Edited by Nems

Hi @Nems, I've moved your post into Ask Damien, since it's not a class-related matter.

Of course it cropped!  Those dimensions (like all web dimensions) are much smaller than full resolution.

So the issue is not "whether it crops". The issue is all about you controlling the crop.

So, when you said ...

13 minutes ago, Nems said:

I entered these exact values into Ps

How did you enter them, exactly?

If you entered them in the Image Size or Canvas Size dialogs, that's bad.  The correct way to do it is with your Crop Tool.

Did you confirm that the photos are allowed to be portrait orientation?  1920x1080 is very specifically a screen resolution, and screens are traditionally horizontal.  It's possible they might want all the photos to be cropped to landscape?

I'm probably wrong, but I thought I should raise it just to be safe.

Hi Damien, There is a mixture of landscape and portrait photos on the website.  I am interested in knowing how I can control the crop so my photos aren't cropped in any way.  I will then apply a USM at 500 / 0.2 / 0 to start.

27 minutes ago, Nems said:

Hi Damien, There is a mixture of landscape and portrait photos on the website.

Great.

27 minutes ago, Nems said:

I am interested in knowing how I can control the crop so my photos aren't cropped in any way.

You can't.  It's fundamental mathematics.  The required crop shape is different from the native photo shape.