White wash look

HI,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of achieving a look like this one.  I have just started the Layers and Masks class, but had to double back to the Raw class to check out the new sliders before my time runs out.  Also, I linked to an Instagram post, and did not post the image itself.  Hope I did that correct and did not break a posting rule.  

5 minutes ago, Joe C said:

I have not shot one to try this yet.  I wanted to have in idea of the processing first.  Please delete this.  Thanks

Sorry, delete what? You can leave your post here until you have done the session, just post your image in the comments once the session has been completed. 

Yep, this will work a treat!

Your first step is in the Raw processing.  You must must must make sure that there is no shadow clipping.  Not even a single pixel.  The histogram has to be short at the shadow end.

While you're doing the raw processing, you can certainly err towards a lighter edit, but don't worry if you can't get it light enough - we'll do the rest in Photoshop.

Go ahead and do the raw processing, and post again for me.

• Like 1

OK, I eliminated the shadow clipping and pushed the exposure up (but did not let it clip there either).  Does it need to be lighter still in the raw processing?

JD7_7728-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

5 hours ago, Joe C said:

In the original, the hair is still more white instead of blonde.

That's because her hair WAS more white.  In real life.  Let's not be silly about this - not everything is software.

Still, no biggie, it's a simple Hue/Sat adjustment.

5 hours ago, Joe C said:

And the image seems a little sharper, doesn't it?

That's not part of the style.  It's just web sharpening, you can choose your own level, to your taste, just as with any other photo.