Problem adjusting monitor

I have now received the Spyder5Elite. 

My primary computer is a laptop. I don't use the laptop monitor, I have a separate Philips Monitor.

The first step is to compare prints to screen and adjust the screen's brightness -- I can't do this because the adjustment slider doesn't work on either screen 1 or screen 2.

The person who usually helps me with my computer is not available just now.

Do you have any suggestions?

Kind regards

Dianna Cameron

·      

Sooo frustrating.  Only found an off/on button.  Tried many different things to no avail.  Finally decided to experiment with the Spyder5Elite and in the course of doing so, it altered the brightness of the screen.  It has not been calibrated correctly yet because the measurements (I forget what they are called) were 90/145 and I was supposed to get within 4 somethings......  but at least it's a start. I will try again tomorrow with the Spyder and who knows, eventually, I might get lucky.

AMAZING!!  It never would have occurred to me - but then I guess that's why you're the expert!  Thank you I will play around with it tomorrow.  I have already managed to reduce the brightness to 24 which is probably about right.  It's always so lovely to solve an unsolvable problem.  thank you again.

• Like 1

I am attempting to calibrate my monitor

First, I compared the prints to the image on the screen and manually adjusted the brightness. My screen seems to be very bright and I had to take it down to 4 and it was still brighter than the comparison with the prints would suggest.

Then tried to calibrate. When I got to the section where I have to adjust the brightness this is what happened.

Target  4.0 cd/m˄2

Current: 57.4 cd/m˄2

I am not able to adjust the brightness any lower than 4 where it already is, yet the instructions are that I should adjust the brightness to about 4% of the Target. Very confusing.

I do not know if my laptop monitor is complicating the situation.

I do know that my monitor is quite dull at “4”.

Do you have any suggestions?

3 minutes ago, Dianna Cameron said:

I had to take it down to 4 and it was still brighter than the comparison with the prints would suggest.

This is not unheard-of.  Some people even have to take their screen down to 0 to get a match.

However, such a low value does prompt me to worry about your room lighting.  Have you read this?

I like the light - it's kind of restful actually.  There's an oyster fitting over the top of the bulbs of course, which yellows the light somewhat. I must admit the thought passed through my mind that perhaps I should remove it. 

I have four LED battens 3500L  52000K in my studio and they are of course, much brighter.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "streaming in".  That would be too strong.  "Filtering in" might be more appropriate.

Just now, Dianna Cameron said:

I like the light - it's kind of restful actually.  There's an oyster fitting over the top of the bulbs of course, which yellows the light somewhat. I must admit the thought passed through my mind that perhaps I should remove it.

What you "like" is completely irrelevant.  If you want to edit photos, the light has to be bright enough, period.  Your feelings don't enter into this.

Please fix the lighting.

If the fitting is yellowing the lights, then yes, remove it.

57 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

I fear you're not following the correct instructions.  These are the ones you need to follow for your screen.

Then calibrate again following the correct instructions this time.