Olive

I have a Mac desktop running mojave  and Photoshop cc. It is under 2 years old, and has 8GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 231.4GB free out of 1TB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I rarely run a cleanup program.

Hmmm ... 8GB is the bare minimum of RAM to run CC.  You'll need to make sure you don't have any other programs open while you're running the Adobe programs.

It would be a good idea to run the Scanner Tool at crucial.com and see if you can add more RAM.

Brian always says that you should have at least 1/3rd hard drive space free, and you're a bit under that.  Your drive is sufficiently big so it shouldn't matter, but don't let it get any more full.

And you should definitely run CleanMyMac straight away, and every month hereafter.

Also - VERY important  - make sure you don't have ANYTHING on the desktop.  No files, no folders.  Desktop clutter slows a computer significantly, Brian says.

It doesn't look Iike I can upgrade the RAM but I honestly don't know what I'm looking at on the crucial.com scanner.  I never had any issues running lightroom, only since I started with the bridge.  I cleaned off my desktop except the backup drive I have connected to the imac and switched to firefox based on a few other threads I read in here.  Outside if a new computer I don't think there is much else I can do. 

What screen size Mac do you have? 21.5" or a 27" Model?

If you have a 21.5" iMac, and it's the $1499 model, Apple has to upgrade the RAM, as you have to take apart the whole thing to get to the RAM slots on the back of the motherboard. So that's going to be expensive. Less expensive 21.5" iMacs are stuck at 8GB, as their Memory is soldered to the motherboard.

If you have a 27" iMac, you can upgrade the RAM yourself.

As for why Bridge is taking up so much RAM, I'm wondering if that has to do with the preview setting? If you have it set to full resolution, that could eat up space. Especially if you have a high MP camera. In addition, each browser tab you have open, consumes a little more RAM. So keep your FB and audio-streaming / Netflix kept to a minimum when editing. I'm finding that 8GB is the bare-minimum for Mojave and you really want more than 16GB these days when it comes to Macs and the current versions of Photoshop. 32GB / 64GB sees to be the new sweet spot. Just like 32MB was 20 years ago.