Dell U2412M

Hello!  I just bought a Dell U2412M and am noticing that fonts and, just in general, things look more fuzzy than on my Dell Inspiron 5720.  The monitor is tethered to the laptop.  Did I hook it up wrong or do I just need to get used to the bigger screen size, is there some sort of setting I need to change?  

Thanks!

I'm on a PC--windows 7's 

Are you using the 15-Pin Blue VGA cable? If so, that's probably why. That monitor performs better with the DVI-D or a DisplayPort cable. 

So what kind of ports do you have for video on your laptop? 

You also might have to increase the resolution in your window's display settings. Some folks lower the resolution to make things easier to read, the downside is things look fuzzy when you do that. 

Thanks for getting back to me!  Here are a couple cell phone shots of the ports on my laptop.  I am using the blue cable.  I don't believe I can attach either of the other 2 cables?  What resolution do you recommend I set my display settings to?  Thanks again!

IMG_9165.JPG

IMG_9166.JPG

Yeah, I was afraid of that. You are using the VGA port, which has been around since 1989 and was only meant for 20" CRT (Tube) Monitors, not today's fancy flat screens.

See this port? You need to use this one:

image.png

You need to buy one of these cables:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004C9P9TM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463439844&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=hdmi+to+displayport

Remove the VGA cable, plug one end into the HDMI port (photo above) and the other end into the Display Port on the Dell U2412m.

On the bottom of the U2412m: Blue VGA - White DVI-D - DisplayPort.

After you get things hooked up, you need to adjust your resolution in Windows to 1920 X 1200. Hopefully your laptop can go that high. If not, you'll need a new laptop.  

$12 isn't bad to spend.  I'll run to office max and see if I can pick one up.

My screen resolution max's out at 1600x900. So what you are saying is, I have a great monitor that isn't compatible with my laptop :( Buying a new laptop isn't in the budget right now.  I shouldn't even try to edit photo's on it?  

Yep. You have a great monitor and a laptop that wasn't meant for a large fancy screen. It's meant to have a smaller monitor hooked up, or something like a projector.

OfficeMax probably won't have them. If they do, it won't be $12. More like $30-$50.

Thanks!  Does it even pay to order the cable if I can't edit photos with this monitor anyway?  I have an old LG EW224 I can use in the  meantime...

what's the recommended budget friendly laptop or tower to buy?  I only need it to run , CS5, LR5 and crashplan really...I hook externals up for storage too.

10 hours ago, MamaMonkey said:

what's the recommended budget friendly laptop or tower to buy?

Lots and lots and lots of threads in this forum answering this. :)

I'd hold off on the cable for now. I do not recommend laptops for photo-editing, though I have linked to one that meets my specifications.

From another thread:

Now what PC have I've been recommending? I posted this on another thread:

If you are an "Official" or "On-the-Books" business, then I'd get this Dell:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-8900-desktop/pd?oc=cax8900w7ph1057&model_id=xps-8900-desktop

If you are a hobbyist, then the Dell XPS 8900:

http://pilot.search.dell.com/dell%20xps%208900

What you are looking for is:

• i5 or i7 CPU
  • 8GB RAM at a Minimum / 16GB RAM or more Preferred
  • 1TB HD at a Minimum / 2TB or larger Preferred
  • Dedicated Video Card with its own Video Memory. 2GB or 4GB of Video Memory is fine.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit at a Minimum. DO NOT get a Windows 7 "Home" edition, as it caps out at 16GB of RAM. You need the "Pro" version to go higher, i.e. 32GB of RAM.

Windows 10 is "fine" at this point, as long as it comes with a new computer. Most of the issues that people have are ones that have upgraded from Windows 7 or 8. With brand new computers, the upgrade path to Windows 10 is easier. As for which one, Windows 10 Home Edition or Windows 10 Pro, I would always recommend going the "Pro" edition. But it's not a deal breaker if the computer comes with Windows 10 Home.

Now what's the difference between the "Business" and "Consumer" when it comes with Dell? If you live in the United States, you get state-side support. When you call Dell for help with the consumer models, you get "Bob," "Abraham," or "Judy" in India or Pakistan. With the business edition, you get "Joe from Kansas" or "Sue from Colorado" or  where-ever Dell US Support is.

I like the 8900 because it doesn't come with a whole lot of crapware / bloatware. It's a straight forward computer. If someone comes across this thread and hates Dell, that's fine. Choose a different brand with the specs that I listed in the above comment box.

It also looks like Dell is ending Windows 7 being installed on their computers. So Windows 10 is the current OS that comes with new computers.

13 hours ago, Brian said:

There is one for $699, which isn't too bad.

which one is this?

Also, do I need to verify it has the DVI-D or is DVI acceptable?  Also, if i go the laptop route again I need to verify that I can set the  resolution in Windows to 1920 X 1200 ... might have to upgrade to creative cloud too then ;) 

Most new laptops will have a HDMI port. Desktop models can vary. DVI-D (white port) and HDMI are usually found the majority of the time. With the 2412m, either is fine. If the new computer/laptop comes with a HDMI port, just get the HDMI to DisplayPort cable that I linked to at the top of the thread. If the new computer has a DVI port, your Dell Monitor should have come with a DVI cable and just use that  

In either case, AVOID using the blue VGA 15 pin connector. (Also referred to as a D-Sub Port.) 

The biggest thing you can do when buying a laptop is to make sure it has SEPARATE AND DEDICATED VIDEO MEMORY. It will usually have a blurb about the graphics chipset and then state the video RAM. It's usually 2GB or 4GB. In reality, you are looking for a low-end gaming laptop that has a IPS screen. 

Take a look at the highlights on this laptop, see how it lists the video memory? See how it lists IPS for the display? That's what you are looking for:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1183450-REG

Now keep in mind, laptops are constantly replaced and orphaned. So that model I linked to would be decent for photo editing, it won't be around 3 months from now, the unit will have been replaced. 

Budget $1000 - $1500 for a laptop meant to edit photos on. If you are looking to save money, look at a Desktop model. 

On 5/16/2016 at 6:09 PM, Brian said:

You need to buy one of these cables:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004C9P9TM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463439844&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=hdmi+to+displayport

Remove the VGA cable, plug one end into the HDMI port (photo above) and the other end into the Display Port on the Dell U2412m.

On the bottom of the U2412m: Blue VGA - White DVI-D - DisplayPort.

After you get things hooked up, you need to adjust your resolution in Windows tall.  I tried changingt ao 1920 X 1200. Hopefully your laptop can go that high. If not, you'll need a new laptop.  

I went ahead and ordered the cable you recommended and my screen isn't detected at all.  It just goes to power saving mode.  I changed the setting to display port on the monitor and rebooted.  Suggestions?

Fn + Whatever toggles your display. Look along the number row. You should see something like a logo of a rectangle. Probably around F5 or F6  YMMV. 

You might want to try and use the VGA cable 1st and see if you can toggle back and forth between the laptop and Dell Display. Oh, set the display back to auto select for the ports. 

Now, this is a real PITA and one of the major reasons I hate using laptops for editing. There is no set way and I hope your laptop has enough "Umph" to drive the monitor. If it doesn't, you are buying a new laptop, as this is something that can't be upgraded. 

Ok, let's give it a try and see what happens. 

The blue vga works fine with the monitor and the laptop.  It's just a little fuzzy, which is why I ordered the hdmi to displayport cable from amazon.  For whatever reason I can't get that hdmi cable to work.  Definitely buying a tower for an upgrade, just can't do it for several months, so I'm trying to make the best with what I've got.

• Like 1

You might want to read the manual that came with the laptop, or check the company's website for updates drivers. It should work, but maybe see if there is something that we are missing. This is one of the downsides doing this stuff online. :/

well...here is the owners manual off of dell http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/inspiron-17r-se-7720_owner's manual_en-us.pdf and I can't seem to find anything about the hdmi port in it :(  It more talks about how to remove stuff and put it back together.  I believe this is the graphics update, but since I use windows 7, do I even need it?  or should I be looking for some other update? http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=F0TMC&fileId=3126813903&osCode=W764&productCode=inspiron-17r-5720&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI

I'm working on finding something I can use to test the cord I bought off amazon, in case they sent me a bad one.  Thanks for all your help thus far!!!