Changing color to maroon

Hello- I have a client who is wanting to use a maroon (school color) smoke bomb in her senior pictures.  Maroon is not a color offered for purchase, so I'm playing around to see if I can make red or purple a maroon color using Hue/Saturation.  I'm not really finding a satisfactory shade with that option.  Is there a way to sample a color from her outfit and match the smoke bomb color to it?  Maybe I could make a selection of the smoke bomb and do some kind of a color layer?  Any advise or referral to appropriate lesson I can look up is greatly appreciated, thank you. I have both elements and PS.

I'm about 70% sure that I'll be able to help you change the colour of smoke, in at least some of the photos you take.

But that means I'm 30% nervous, of course.  If you invest the time and expense, then it turns out that it's not possible after all, you and I will be frustrated and your client will be disappointed.

The decision about whether to try it will have to be up to you.

(I can say, though, that I'm 100% sure that it will be very time-consuming editing.  So be sure that you're prepared for that commitment.)

I certainly appreciate that.  We will be doing the photos in the fall, so I'll get back with you then.  This weekend my model reps are doing a smoke bomb shoot for July 4th theme, so thankfully red, white and blue are colors I could purchase.  The client and her mom who want the maroon smoke bomb are  good friends, so I know they'll appreciate the effort even if it doesn't quite work out.  I'll just be sure to take super cute pics in her varsity jacket without the smoke bombs as well, so then no matter what she'll have great pics!

• Like 1

I just wanted to show you  a photo I posted in the fall regarding the smoke bomb colors.  Last summer I had inquired about whether or not I could make the red smoke bomb color maroon.  I'm attaching a photo of an adjusted photo and the original.    I adjusted  red in a hue/sat. layer (-7, -20, -35) then added a color fill layer of maroon at 50 % opacity, set to multiply.  There might be a better way to do this, but the client was really happy with the result.

DSC_0782 edit cr.jpg

DSC_0782 edit red.jpg