Color space is changing

19 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Can you open a photo (a jpeg file) in both Photoshop and Chrome, and show me a screenshot to demonstrate the difference?

(To open a photo in Chrome, make a new tab then press Ctrl O to open a file)

I hope I'm doing this right.GoogleChromePic.JPGPhotoshopPic.JPG

24 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Can you open a photo (a jpeg file) in both Photoshop and Chrome, and show me a screenshot to demonstrate the difference?

(To open a photo in Chrome, make a new tab then press Ctrl O to open a file)

Hope I did this right.GoogleChromePic.JPGPhotoshopPic.JPG

Christina,

Thank you! But I just did it. I hope this doesn't happen again. I honestly was so confused, I have know idea why it was happening because I followed all of Damien's directions to make sure I was in sRGB. I'm feeling silly now for posting.

2 minutes ago, Christina Keddie said:

Hey, don't feel silly!  I'm glad that fixed it, and definitely keep that document profile indicator on so you can always check your files' color space at a glance. :) 

That's the thing. I swear I have been. It didn't say that last night. That's why I feel silly.

NewChromePic.JPGNewPSpic.JPG

Looks better!

Another question, just because I like to understand what's going on. When you tell me to assign a profile, you also mention to try your monitor profile. When I do it changes it to that weird color I was talking about. So does that mean anything? If not why would my calibrated monitor profile look that way if my screen is already calibrated?

Edited by Jess_dunn

Because that's what the monitor profile is for, you see.  To compensate for the natural crappiness of your screen.  That monitor profile is a record of all the flaws of your screen.  Photoshop reads that profile, and uses it to compensate for all the screen's flaws when showing you your photos.

I'm over-simplifying things a lot here, of course, but that's the nub of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

Because that's what the monitor profile is for, you see.  To compensate for the natural crappiness of your screen.  That monitor profile is a record of all the flaws of your screen.  Photoshop reads that profile, and uses it to compensate for all the screen's flaws when showing you your photos.

I'm over-simplifying things a lot here, of course, but that's the nub of it.

Thanks for explaining that! I really appreciate all the time you took tonight to help me out. I still don't know what I did and I'm really hoping it doesn't happen again, lol. But if it does I'll be on here driving you guys nuts.

Thanks again!

• Like 2