NEF files not recognized?

Any idea why my Nikon D700 NEF files would suddenly not be recognizable by Bridge or PS CC or even when I try to drag today's photos/NEFs from the card to my external HD? In Finder they show as only a Nikon NEF icon and won't load thumbprints etc

Screenshot 2019-10-05 12.22.13.png

Screenshot 2019-10-05 12.21.58.png

Not a thing.  Same camera, same card, no new update. Pictures I took 5 days earlier (last time I had the camera in hand) all fine and still recognized

As an update, after 24 hours and a full reboot about half of the card loads properly. The rest as Nikon NEF icon still.

I have a Mac laptop running Mojave 10.14.6 and Photoshop CC. It is over 2 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 73GB free out of 250GB. The last time I shut down was more than 24 hours ago. I run a cleanup program about once a month.

Yes. Still have them on the card.

Will have to check at the end of the day about the other raw files and what size they are. The odd thing from my perspective is that when I first started this post none of the files would open. Then after a reboot and the next day about half did. 

Ok. That’s what I always do - immediately transfer the card images into separate folders named by day and then transfer to external HD #1 and then copy a backup to HD #2. Never save on my laptop because of memory