Jake,Ryan different photo/background

Cindy Young

(I'm so sorry, Cindy, I've got to run to an event, but hopefully someone else will be around to help you through this!  In the meantime, though, I strongly recommend that you download the PSD Damien created for you and take a really close look at his levels layer and the mask he used there.)

Yes, the Levels layer is crazy bright.  I still don't know whether I should click on a dark part of the backdrop or the dark part of the wall behind it.  

Thanks for helping.  I have downloaded Damien's PSD and am trying to study it.  Have fun at your event.  Thanks for your patient helpfulness!

3 hours ago, Cindy Young said:

1.  Levels layer; 2. Click on levels icon; 3. Double click on white eyedropper; 4. Choose a light part of the background; 5. Choose a dark color from the backdrop**should this be the dark color of the wall behind the backdrop?**; 6. Click on Levels mask; 7. Choose gradient TOOL from the TOOL Bar on left; 8. Draw line on photo with Gradient Tool, but almost NOTHING happens.  Where am I going wrong?

1-5 are correct.  After step 5, the photo should be very very bright.

6 is correct.

7 is NOT.  There is no involvement for the gradient tool for this photo.  Brush tool only.

26 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

1-5 are correct.  After step 5, the photo should be very very bright.

6 is correct.

7 is NOT.  There is no involvement for the gradient tool for this photo.  Brush tool only.

^^ I am so confused. ^^  So, I select the Gradient Layer by clicking on the black and white circle at the bottom of my right side of the screen?  Then adjust angle, scale, check Dither, and uncheck Align with layer?

Sorry, when I turn the levels layer off, the background is dark.  When I turn it on, the background is lighter.  How do I get mine to do that?  When I clicked on a dark part of the background, should I have clicked on THE WALL instead of a darker part of the backdrop?

I have masked the bright levels layer off of the subjects.  I cannot get the brownish background to show up.  In the screen shot, the black splotch is where I masked the background -- no brown backdrop color.Screenshot 2016-05-28 00.04.15.png