memory slots in Dell XPS 8700 not working well

Hey Brian - I have a question for you. When I put my new Lexar SDXC card in the memory slot in my tower, it makes the sound like it recognizes the card in there, but it won't pull up the card in the windows folder or bridge (as if it's not in there). I'm not ready for a new computer (even though mine is from 2014) bc other than that it works fine. Is there some sort of card reader that attaches via USB that you would recommend for transferring my images. i went from one canon to another  - the old one used compact flash cards and that slot seemed to work fine, but my new camera uses SD cards and that one is having problems. Thanks!

SD card not showing.jpg

On 1/6/2020 at 8:29 PM, Jennifer said:

Is there some sort of card reader that attaches via USB that you would recommend for transferring my images.

You mean like this one? :D

Sandisk USB 3.0 Card Reader

It's about $30. Chances are, your fancy memory card is too powerful for the card-reader that is built into the computer. From a technological standpoint, it physically won't work. The cool part with that reader is it takes both modern CF and SD cards. 

Hey Brian - while I've got you - do you happen to know if the Dell XPS 8700 can handle windows 10 ? I just got a notice saying that microsoft will no longer support windows 7 (so I'm assuimng that also covers windows 7 professional). Thanks!

Windows 7's end-of-life is Jan 14, 2020. What does that mean? To put it bluntly, Microsoft is taking it behind the barn and shooting-it-dead. There will be no support or updates, no security patches or service packs starting in 5 days from now. Will your Windows 7 stop working? Of course not. It will work just fine. That said, it's a sitting duck and any malware or other nasty stuff that takes advantage of a security hole can be exploited. So being on the internet with Win 7 isn't a good idea after Jan 14.

Of course, Microsoft hasn't really been pushing out updates recently for Win 7, so it's probably not a huge deal for the short-term. Since they are dropping ALL support for it in a few days, IF something were to happen, requiring an update / patch...guess what? You are SOL.

As far as the Dell 8700 handling Win 10, it should...if Windows 7 works on it, there is a good chance Win 10 will be fine. Once Caveat, If there is some sort of driver that isn't compatible with Windows 10, and there isn't one available, you are screwed. Case in point: I upgraded a friend's 2012 Sony VAIO Laptop to Windows 10. The update went well. Everything worked...except for the WiFi Adapter. That's right, a laptop that has no working WiFi after the update. Sony's answer? Buy a new laptop. Fortunately, the Ethernet Port Worked.

You need to have a blank 8GB or 16GB Thumbdrive Handy and use the Windows Media Creation Tool. I can't link to it with my Mac, as Microsoft is detecting it, but if you Google "Windows Media Creation Tool" it will be easy to find. Basically, if you have Windows 7 Pro, you should be able to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro for free. You just need to have enough HD space available (500GB free is a safe number) and a Thumbdrive that will be used for the Windows 10 Installer only, so after you create it, but it in a bag and label it.

After you create the thumbdrive, you boot off of it and follow the prompts. Leave your computer connected to to the internet and it will contact Microsoft's Servers and upgrade your License Key. Bear in mind that this is a one-way proposition. You will not be able to down-grade back to Windows 7 if something isn't 100% compatible.

• Like 1

Hey Brian - Hope you're doing well today. I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and the only things that are showing up as not compatible in notifications are there. If there were something else that no longer worked due to incompatibility, would it also show up in notifications or would it just stop working and I won't know until I go to try it? Thanks!

snip and sketch Annotation 2020-01-15 092258.jpg

Ugh. You will need to see if there are any manufacturer drivers for the USB & Bluetooth Controllers. This isn’t good. Either your USB ports will flat out not work or work at USB 2.0 speeds. 

You should check Device Manager to see if there is anything else that doesn’t work. 

I did speak to Dell Support (since I have an annual software service) and the tech said that the Windows 10  equivalents of those are working in my computer. Hopefully that is correct bc I'd like to try to get at least one more year out of my computer if possible. The only other issue I'm having is my microsoft office (with outlook) isn't working, and I no longer have the product key (bc my husband who likes to throw things away threw out the plastic MS box a few weeks ago))! So worst case scenario, I end up buying MS office 2019 I guess - and he has to pay for it:) lol

Honestly, it's better to get at least Office 2016 or the just released Office 2019 to work with Windows 10. I signed up for Office 365 myself. Since everything is downloads and streaming, you can my MS Office use a @live.com account or Microsoft equivalent and your License Keys will be stored there.

After being up for most of the night, I have come to the same conclusion! Office 365 is the subscription-based one- right?  I was thinking that was the right way to go as well. I guess like Adobe CC, you don’t have to worry about things getting out of date. 

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1

Yep, Office365 is the subscription based one, just like PS CC. The cool part is you can install it on multiple computers, I think up to 5, so at that point, Office is really cheap. $100 a year for 5 computers that each have the current MS Office. Just be sure to un-register the old computer when it gets replaced so you can install it on the new one.