Using Photoshop on iPad

JudyM

Hi Brian,

I normally work on a MacBook pro using Bridge and Photoshop and I store all my images on a portable hard drive.  Next month I am travelling and some airlines are not allowing any MacBook Pros either as carry-on or in checked luggage because some of them had an issue with the battery getting too  hot and catching on fire.  So I thought I would use my husband's iPad to facilitate the transfer of photos from my camera to my portable hard drive and also to edit the occasional image...but I can't seem to get Photoshop installed on it as part of my Creative Cloud membership.  I log into Creative Cloud on the iPad but when I click on "get" to download Photoshop it certainly appears that we're going to be charged for it.

So I have two questions.....Is uploading my raw images to the "Photos" app going to degrade my images at all?  And how do I get Photoshop installed on the iPad as part of my Creative Cloud subscription?

Thanks Brian!  

Don’t fall for marketing.

Apple Photos can edit Raw files, but it’s NOTHING like ACR sliders. It’s more like the built in Camera App on a iPhone or iPad that allows you to tweak some parts of the photos. It’s not a real editing program as far as I’m concerned. Now, if you want to shoot Raw / import then throw on a bunch of IG-Like filters, be my guest. 

if you are looking for the same power and level of control that a program like Adobe ACR, it’s not Photos. Basically your iPad would be a great viewer to cull, but I feel a laptop still would be a better fit for true editing. 

PS for the iPad. I’ve never installed it, I also don’t own a iPad. :) It is highly recommended by Adobe to use an iPad Pro instead of just a regular iPad, though a modern one that can use an Apple Pencil will work. I did find a FAQ Page and it seems you just need to sign into the Adobe Cloud Manager Software on your iPad and download the App. If that’s what you are trying to already do, I suggest contacting Adobe. I’m thinking there is an issue with your PS CC Cloud Subscription. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/photoshop-ipad-faq.html#use-photoshop-ipad

Oh.....I don't use the app Photos normally and I wouldn't edit in it. But I would have to upload my images into Photos then onto my portable hard drive.  If I edit any at all, it would just be to put in Facebook and I would use photoshop (then likely re-edit properly once I got home).

I'll contact Adobe.

Thanks Brian.  I finally received confirmation from both airlines that I should be able to take my MacBook pro aboard so I won't need to use the iPad at all.  Thanks for your help!

• Like 1