I’m here! Busy weekend. If I don’t get to this tomorrow then Monday morning.

Thank you—I look forward to another three-week round of you trying to straighten me out ?

ps did I break the record for longest time in white balance purgatory?

• Like 1

Hi Damien I'm going to retry calibration tomorrow when I can open the windows to compare the prints. I have the Spyder X Elite, so I read your instructions for both X Pro and 5 Elite, and I have a few questions:

1) my lab (WHCC) specifies 6500K, should I nevertheless consider a different monitor temp if it looks better prior to calibration?

2) should I allow the Spyder software to show me the RGB sliders or not? Your advice is different for the two products. 

3) screen brightness. You recommend between 70 and 100, but WHCC actually recommends 120, and my screen was too bright at 80 last time--how do I make sense of this?

4) Finally, I noticed you don't offer any advice regarding the "spyder tune" sliders at the end, are they not worth bothering with? 

Hopefully I can get it right tomorrow without additional tax on your time and patience. I'm attaching the pics I'm using, though I'm taking the sunset photo out of consideration as I realize the colors are too vivid.

Many thanks!!

Q8031090-calibration.jpg

Q8080810-calibration.jpg

R6251732-calibration.jpg

R6252022-calibration.jpg

R8031391-calibration.jpg

2 hours ago, Jbasya said:

Hi Damien I'm going to retry calibration tomorrow when I can open the windows to compare the prints. I have the Spyder X Elite, so I read your instructions for both X Pro and 5 Elite

Concentrate mainly on the 5 Elite instructions.

1) my lab (WHCC) specifies 6500K, should I nevertheless consider a different monitor temp if it looks better prior to calibration?

Yes.

2) should I allow the Spyder software to show me the RGB sliders or not? Your advice is different for the two products.

As mentioned above, follow the 5 Elite instructions as much as possible.

3) screen brightness. You recommend between 70 and 100, but WHCC actually recommends 120, and my screen was too bright at 80 last time--how do I make sense of this?

I don't know why they'd say that, it's completely outrageous.

4) Finally, I noticed you don't offer any advice regarding the "spyder tune" sliders at the end, are they not worth bothering with?

YES I DO!

Hi there! I got better results with a 5700 K temp, for whatever reason. I still had the same issues as before, just not as stark. Had to add both red and green and reduce brightness in the "spyder tune" area.

In the end the beach and barrel pics are giving me a hard time with green, and the black and white print looks much warmer than my jpg no matter what I do. But I'm definitely much closer than before. Might even be close enough.

Anyway, question: after setting my monitor to 5700 (it's next option after 6500), was I correct to tell the Spyder software that my target was 5800 (it's nearest option)? And why would my monitor need that setting if my printer says 6500?????

Thank you again.

P.S. I installed some 5000K lighbulbs today, turned them on and off as needed but kept the windows closed for consistency throughout this process.

Edited by Jbasya

2 minutes ago, Jbasya said:

Anyway, question: after setting my monitor to 5700 (it's next option after 6500), was I correct to tell the Spyder software that my target was 5800 (it's nearest option)?

Yes, probably.

2 minutes ago, Jbasya said:

And why would my monitor need that setting if my printer says 6500?????

Don't worry about what they say.

I can't remember if I've already asked you.  Are you sure your room light is ok?  https://www.damiensymonds.net/2012/01/light-around-your-computer.html

This morning I put in new 5000k bulbs. My previous bulbs were way too yellow which might explain my cold editing :)  

I might get slightly brighter/warmer bulbs if I’m never going to open the windows again, but the room is plenty bright. 

I’m going to take the black and white out of the equation and give it one more tweak. I was trying too hard to warm things up to match it. Thanks!

Edited by Jbasya

Hopefully my last question, and I may be confusing the two different versions of your instructions that I read....

Anyway, today I set my monitor to 5700 and the closest target the software offered was 5800.... if there’s an option not to adjust at all, should I choose that?

Many many thanks. 

Thank you so much for all your help! I’m going to be really busy for the next week or so and probably won’t post any pics right away, but I’m glad to have gotten this calibration out of the way. ?