KLK

I will be using these instructions to calibrate my Asus laptop screen.  However, I also have an external 27" Asus LED monitor which has controls not just for brightness, but also for contrast, saturation, color temp, skin tone and "Smart View".  I have never messed with them.  How should I deal with all those settings in the calibration process?  Thanks.  So glad you are out there to guide me!

1 hour ago, KLK said:

I will be using these instructions to calibrate my Asus laptop screen.  However, I also have an external 27" Asus LED monitor which has controls not just for brightness, but also for contrast, saturation, color temp, skin tone and "Smart View".  I have never messed with them.  How should I deal with all those settings in the calibration process?  Thanks.  So glad you are out there to guide me!

For that you'll use these instructions.

Hi Damien,

I began calibration today using Method 1.  My lowest color preset readings in Warm, are between 7507 and 8491.  Far outside of the 6500 target you mention.  (My Cool preset readings are between 10,867 and 13497; my Normal readings are between 8884 and 10,359).  I am wondering if my monitor brightness setting is the problem.  My brightness setting is at 112, about in the middle.  Windows 10 has a glitch, apparently, in not permitting auto brightness to be turned off with the click of a button.  It just returns the the "on" position.  I read through several fixes (most of them very complicated) from a number of frustrated Windows 10 users, finally settling on a method of disabling auto brightness by going into Services, Sensor Monitoring Service, Properties, and Disable in Windows 10.  Auto brightness still shows it's selected in Windows Display Settings, but since it shows "disabled" in Services, I proceeded.  Now with these very high readings in my Warm preset, I am wondering if the brightness setting is the culprit.  I took a brief look at Method 2, and it looks a lot more complicated.  I am not ready to give up and purchase a different monitor before running this situation by you.  What do you recommend?  Thanks.

I've just read the working with dual screens article.  I had no idea!  I've been duplicating them.  I have not yet calibrated my laptop screen.  I'll now be attempting calibration again on my external monitor and hope the readings are in the right range.  

I have now taken white readings on both the external monitor and laptop screen after selecting 'Extend'.  On the external monitor, the readings are 7436-8384 and on the laptop are 7433-7803.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Laptop successfully calibrated.  CCT: 7565K

In doing photo comparison, I am finding that the photos are brighter than screen.

I'll do that.  Thanks.  And a final (I hope) question.  Getting back to my external monitor, and given my high white point readings, would you recommend I use Method 1 or 2 for calibrating that monitor?

Laptop is finished.  See above.  "Laptop successfully calibrated.  CCT: 7565K

In doing photo comparison, I am finding that the photos are brighter than screen."

•  

I did a second recalibration, resulting in a white point of 7553 (no change) and targeted luminance of 100 or 110 (forgot to write it down) with an achieved luminance of 110.  4 photos appear brighter than screen and 2 appear less bright than screen.  I don't really see any difference from first calibration.  I am going to print 6 current photos and recalibrate.  I am thinking some of the photo prints I am using (they were just laying around from a while ago) may have been edited in Lightroom since they were printed.  So..... fresh start.  I'll get back to it tomorrow.  

Found my data.  I actually used 120 for a targeted luminance the second time and achieved a luminance of 110.  I really don't understand why I still get 4 prints that are brighter than my screen with a setting like that.