Jump to next slide >>

The standard Raw workflow

No two photographers have the same workflow, of course. Over time, you’ll develop your own unique system that suits your needs. But everyone needs to start somewhere, so we need to discuss the fundamentals. Since my own workflow is fairly standard and unadventurous, I’ll outline it for you now.

It begins with safely copying the files onto my computer. I’ve made a video about it here, and an important reminder here.

Next, I browse my photos in Bridge and ruthlessly cull all the photos that aren’t good enough. Poor focus is my main concern, as well as obvious problems like blinking, open mouths, etc. I don’t delete any files in the early stages, though, just in case I can use any of those rejected photos as donors for background replacements, etc.

Then it’s time to begin editing. The editing workflow looks like this:

56b2acc7978cd_rawworkflow_opt.thumb.jpeg

Let’s break it down >>

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

In the first video where you talk about transferring your files from your card you mentioned you right click and select browse in Bridge,  I'm on a Mac and cant see that option.  is that just a PC thing? I currently transfer ALL the photos from my card onto my computer (which is way too many) before I go into Bridge.  Would love to have this option.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lyndall said:

In the first video where you talk about transferring your files from your card you mentioned you right click and select browse in Bridge,  I'm on a Mac and cant see that option.  is that just a PC thing?

If your Mac mouse doesn't have a right-click button, I strongly suggest getting one that does.  But in the meantime, Ctrl-clicking will give you the same result.

• Like 1

I actually just worked it out. It seems with a mac you have to open the folder so you can see all the photos. Then just right click on one of the photos and it has the option to view in bridge. It brings all of your photos that are on your card in there. Thought I would post just incase any other mac users wanted to know. 

Edited by Lyndall
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Saving files.

If I open an image in acr, adjust it and press done. Will the original raw file be saved. IE, if I wanted to revisit the image 6 months later and process it in a different way from the original raw file.

Edited by Rob