Glasses glare with lots of color

Lisa Manchester

1 hour ago, Lisa Manchester said:

So, removing noise would remove the glasses glare?

No, but you absolutely must do all your raw processing before you start doing anything in PS. :)  The raw processing obviously impacts what you can do in PS and how you can do it.  And all noise removal must be done in raw.  So finish your raw processing and post the 100% crop again, and then Damien will be able to weigh in on the best way to remove the glare.

I'm sorry, but is there a rule that says I need to only post a polished image before asking for help?  If so, my apologies, but the crop is practically SOOC.  I think all I did at that point was warm it up and lower the exposure a tad.  I haven't worked on it since.  I just want to know the best way to approach the glare in the glasses.  Not how to remove noise.  I brought it into ps to do the crop and I stated the image was not a completed edit.  Why should I spend the time editing an image to completion if the glare is not even fixable?

It's not a rule -- it's a simple fact of nature and computers and life and the universe and everything. ;)  Unless and until you've done your raw processing, Damien literally cannot advise you on what PS work to do, because what raw processing you do first impacts what you would do to the file in PS.  For instance -- removing the noise changes the makeup of the skin and glasses and eyes here and impacts whether and how you would clone or otherwise replace the information currently lost in the glare.

That's to answer the question you asked.  If you want to ask the question of if it's even worth trying to do basic raw processing, then ask that question. :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lisa Manchester said:

I'm sorry, but is there a rule that says I need to only post a polished image before asking for help?  If so, my apologies, but the crop is practically SOOC.  I think all I did at that point was warm it up and lower the exposure a tad.  I haven't worked on it since.  I just want to know the best way to approach the glare in the glasses.  Not how to remove noise.  I brought it into ps to do the crop and I stated the image was not a completed edit.  Why should I spend the time editing an image to completion if the glare is not even fixable?

You don't need to do a full edit - just the raw processing (what you do in ACR or in LR). It should only take a few minutes to make remove the noise, and make simple adjustments in your raw processor. :)

• Like 1

Here ya go.  

May I suggest that you add something to the guidelines about sending a crop of the area AFTER you've done your raw editing?  I understand what you're saying about the noise removal possibly changing the make up of the area in question, but the above posts make me look like I have no idea what I'm doing.  I simply stopped when I noticed the severity of the glare, and I even posted that it was not complete.  With all due respect, Damien, I am quite grateful for your work and the help you've given me in the past, but quite honestly, I don't ask often because I'm afraid to.  There are some people in the world who simply don't need to be spoken to like they're stupid.  "it's a simple fact of nature and computers and life and the universe and everything."  Really, Christina??

_LMP0362_crop.jpg

Edited by Lisa Manchester
correction to format

4 hours ago, Lisa Manchester said:

Here ya go.  

May I suggest that you add something to the guidelines about sending a crop of the area AFTER you've done your raw editing? 

In the pinned post at the top of the section Damien lists the guidelines for posting. :) http://ask.damiensymonds.net/topic/106-read-this-first-posting-guidelines-and-featured-threads/ Rule #3 discusses that if you need to post an image, please post the SOOR. Sorry if this wasn't more clear! 

"it's a simple fact of nature and computers and life and the universe and everything."  Really, Christina??

I'm sure Christina only meant this in jest. I'm positive she wasn't trying to offend you or imply you were too stupid to figure this out. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit since you seemed a little frustrated. 

With all due respect, Damien, I am quite grateful for your work and the help you've given me in the past, but quite honestly, I don't ask often because I'm afraid to.

Please don't ever feel like you can't ask a question here. We've worked very hard to make this a safe and more professional environment so that people can feel more welcomed asking questions and receiving help. I know sometimes we can come off as a bit more blunt and direct than intended, but I hope you understand that tone is often difficult to convey through written text, and that all of our questions and suggestion come from a good place. We truly are here to help, in anyway that we can. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lisa Manchester said:

This is amazing, Damien!  Thank you so much!  How can I duplicate this?

So sorry about my delayed reply.  Glad you like it.  Download the PSD here.

Even though the Clone layer is first in the stack (and you can certainly add the blank layer first if you wish) the cloning is the last thing to do.  Do the CM and Levels layers first, then come back to the Clone layer to gently (low opacity brush) reduce the worst remaining stuff.

On 6/23/2016 at 0:35 AM, Damien Symonds said:

So sorry about my delayed reply.  Glad you like it.  Download the PSD here.

Damien,

Do you have a tutorial out or class or something that teaches this process?  I duplicated the .psd file you did for me, but would love to know how to get to the numbers on my own for next time.  I would pay to take a class on this.  Thanks again!