Calibrating New Dell Laptop

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop to travel with. I normally edit on a desktop PC, but I need to do some editing on an upcoming trip this weekend (nothing client related). I tried to install my X-Rite i1 Display 2 on the laptop, but it isn't working. I checked their website for any available upgrade downloads only to discover that this model is now retired. I am assuming my current calibrator isn't supported by Windows 10. Does that sound like a good reason for not working? This screen looks horribly desaturated, gray and cold. It's absolutely awful.  Was thinking of buying the X-Rite i1 Display Pro, but afraid to spend that much if the issue is this computer. Any advice?

I guess I'm also asking if the Display Pro will work for a $299 Dell laptop? Trying to figure out if the screen sucks because I bought a $299 laptop or if I simply need to calibrate. I mean, I know I need to on any computer I use, but scared it won't fix what I am seeing. I tried to post a screen capture, but the upload failed.

I don't think there can be any doubt that the screen on a $299 laptop will be pretty ordinary.

But there's equally little doubt that a new calibrator which is made for Windows 10 and LED screens will do a better job than one which was manufactured before Win10 or LED.

True. Thank you.  As long as it helps me do a reasonable editing job for the task at hand, I will be happy. All my pro work will be done on my desktop. Just can't stand seeing my work look so horrible, thanks to your awesome classes.

• Like 1