Crashing PS

MCH

I have CS5 Photoshop on my Mac which was upgraded to Mojave (10.14.6).  I can open PS but it crashes almost immediately so unusable.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I run CleanMyMac weekly and have been for the last 10 years. I don’t care what Apple says, it’s fine. Especially if you leave it at the default settings. 

macpaw.com. 

The other thing that I see that is alarming is your external hard drive. The MacOS treats all hard drives the same. You NEVER want to go above 75% Full on any drive when it comes to a Mac, internal or external. You are really in the red zone with that drive. Time to cull and delete stuff or buy another external drive and move stuff to it. 

Try the instructions found on this Web page. The CS5 crashing with Mojave is a common problem. 

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-mojave-photoshop-3684425/

Whatever you do, don’t uninstall / re-install it. Adobe will say it’s no longer supported and you will be forced to upgrade to PS CC. 

Thanks so much Brian, the instructions on the link worked, even though PS had previously been ticked.  I just unticked and re-ticked the PS program.  Will have to remember to do this if it plays up again.

• Like 1

By the way...

Whatever you do, if you plan on staying with CS5, DO NOT UPGRADE TO CATALINA!! I don't care how much your Mac bugs you about it. CS5, CS6 and all the way up to PS CC 2017 are not Catalina compatible. At all. There are no work-arounds, no check-boxes or lists, Mac OS Catalina and the yet-to-be-released-MacOS-this-fall...called Big Sur, will ONLY work with Photoshop CC 2019 & PS CC 2020, and I'm not 100% sure about PS CC 2019 with the new OS at this point either. In reality going forward, if you purchase a new Mac in the near-future, you WILL have to upgrade to PS CC 2020. No ifs-ands-or-buts about it. 

Combine this with the new Processor with new Macs called ARM, I'm pretty sure CS5 won't even attempt to install. Intel CPU chips and Macs will be a thing of the past.