What's the best way to isolate an object on white background?

ituck

Hi,

I've been looking online and found a few tutorials but I'm not sure what the best way is to achieve this.

My sample image is attached, I'd like the background to be pure white.

Thanks for any help.

234_DSC_5103.jpg

I'd like the shadows to remain. The next step would be to try to make the shadows semi-transparent so I could replace the background, but for now I'd love to just have the background entirely white but still keep the shadows without having them look fake. 

Edited by ituck

1. Add a Levels layer, and immediately put it on "Luminosity" blend mode.
  2. Hold down the Option key while dragging the white slider, until the background is almost all white (doesn't matter if there's still a bit of colour around the edges).
  3. Paint black on the mask over the fruit.  Be as accurate as possible, using this.
  4. Add a white "Solid Color" layer, invert its mask to hide it, then paint it on over the edges where the background isn't quite white yet.

What's the best way to see the mask while drawing it? it's very faint on the luminosity layer (but I might be missing something). I just painted  bit on the white area so you can see what I mean. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 23.09.02.jpg

1 hour ago, ituck said:

What's the best way to see the mask while drawing it? it's very faint on the luminosity layer (but I might be missing something). I just painted  bit on the white area so you can see what I mean. 

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. What is very faint? 

Also eeek!!: 

eek.PNG

You need to do this immediately! - http://www.damiensymonds.net/art_tscs2.html

And then follow this troubleshooter with a brand new file (raw, if you shoot raw) to make sure it never happens again: http://www.damiensymonds.net/art_tscs000.html

Thanks Samantha! I'm not sure how that happened, I'm usually in sRGB... I'll look at the tutorial as well to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

The "very faint" was the masking - because the luminosity layer only changes the photo slightly, I couldn't tell my mask apart from the background very well. I ended up using a partially opaque colour fill layer and that helped.

Damien, I'm not starting a new thread because it's the same technique I'm trying on a different photo. This one is tricky because the mushrooms are so white. Any ideas of what I could do to make it more realistic? Is it just more careful masking? 

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 12.20.22.jpg

116_produce_DSC_4510.jpg