DVD files locked

NancyA

I moved some old files from DVD to my mac.  I can view them in bridge and open them but cannot change rating--either remove the old rating or put on a new one.  When I open it in RAW, make changes and close it I loose the changes.  I cannot view them in finder but can delete from finder by using password every time I try to delete a file.  I have changed the read/write option for the folder but  it doesn't change the files in the folders.  If I select all of them it opens an info window for "each" file.  Surly there is an easier way to unlock all the files in one operation??

Screen shots shows where I made the "folder" read/write & a screen shot of about this mac.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 1.28.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 1.32.49 PM.png

This doesn't look good. :(

Where were these files from? How did you copy them over? I'm assuming the were originally on a DVD Disc?

Because "Digital Rot" is a very real thing and those images might be gone forever. Other terms are "Digital Decay," "Data Rot," or "Bit Rot." In-a-nutshell, various media degrades over time, bit by bit. Almost like a fallen tree-branch slowly degrades and returns to the Earth.  Various devices such as hard drives can even suffer from it, but DVD media that you make yourself / burn is notorious for only lasting for so long and is VERY SUSCEPTIBLE for Digital Rot. Especially if you used a really cheap Disks, like a Memorex 100 pack for $19.99. For example, Discs that were made, say in 2002, might be completely blank by now. That's right...your images will just go "Poof" over time as the media degrades without you doing anything. It wastes away sitting in a drawer somewhere for years. Even the Library of Congress has Digital Rot issues and are trying to find ways to combat it. Basically, your generic DVDs that you burn are the worst medium to have important data that is intended for long-term storage. Fortunately, we have Archive Grade DVDs now, but even those aren't 100% Fool-Proof. As a real-life friend of mine, who goes by the Moniker 'Missy MWAC,' has a famous saying:

"Print what you want to preserve..."

From what I can tell, the cr2 files that have blank / white icons did not transfer over correctly and are more than likely gone without any data recovery possible. I would try copying the files over again and see if you can get any to pop up. As far as the Ratings, Bridge is a Damien thing. I'm thinking the .xmp file isn't playing nice. I would just try copying over JUST the .cr2 files to a new / test folder; especially ones that you are having issues with, open them up in Bridge mess with a new rating, and then open up in ACR. Then save. Let's see what happens.  

I didn't make myself clear.  The files are there and undamaged.  It is the computer that doesn't like them!  I can view/open/edit in bridge/PS.  I just can't change the ratings in bridge or delete them from bridge.

Whereas in finder I cannot view them but I can delete only by putting in password for each file.  If I go into file info and change it from read to read/write then I can delete them (still cannot view them).  I wanted to know how to change them from read to read/write in finder without having to select each file individually so I can work with them in bridge or at least I think that is the bridge issue.  Bridge is temperamental with admin issues on this computer.  I can add / to the front of a file in finder but if I try to change it in bridge, bridge tells me I do not have authorization--more annoying than anything.

Just thought of something.  The .jpg files I moved are showing in finder.  Oh and guess what, the CR2 files decided to show in finder even though they are read only so guess that wasn't the issue.  I know it was at least an hour before they showed up.  I have rebooted a couple of times so maybe that did it.  

Edited by NancyA

Give this web page a read: Change permissions for files, folders or disks on Mac

Especially this section:

Apply permissions to all items in a folder or a disk

1. On your Mac, select a folder or disk, then choose File > Get Info.

2. Click the lock icon 314aad0915d1135d3070820482bc2166.png to unlock it.

3. Enter an administrator name and password.

4. Click the Action pop-up menu 77dd27f9e7f1275209461fdaf84e1137.png, then choose “Apply to enclosed items”.

You can't do a "Select All" and change permissions for a bunch of files, but you can do that on a folder. I would try doing this on a folder that is located on your HD.

Also, head here: Known Issues with Photoshop and Mojave.

You are going to want to read halfway down and Add Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Bridge to the Privacy Tab in the Preferences. This gives permission to Photoshop and Bridge to do stuff on your Mac, especially modify files. Here are the instructions from the website with a little added from me:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Select Security & Privacy
  3. Click the lock to make changes, then enter your system user name and password for your computer.
  4. Select Privacy from the top set of tabs, then select Accessibility from the left-hand column of options.
  5. Click the + (plus) button under the list 'Allow the apps below to control your computer'.
  6. Navigate to the Applications folder and select the Photoshop application (Photoshop and Bridge) and click Open.
  7. Both programs should appear in the list under the Privacy Tab. Click the Padlock and then close out the Window.
  8. Restart the computer.

14 hours ago, Brian said:

Give this web page a read: Change permissions for files, folders or disks on Mac

Especially this section:

You can't do a "Select All" and change permissions for a bunch of files, but you can do that on a folder. I would try doing this on a folder that is located on your HD.

Thanks!  I had not tried that button and that fixed the issues of not being able to rate, delete or do anything in Bridge with those files!  I'll read the other link next.

14 hours ago, Brian said:

Also, head here: Known Issues with Photoshop and Mojave.

You are going to want to read halfway down and Add Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Bridge to the Privacy Tab in the Preferences. This gives permission to Photoshop and Bridge to do stuff on your Mac, especially modify files. Here are the instructions from the website with a little added from me:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Select Security & Privacy
  3. Click the lock to make changes, then enter your system user name and password for your computer.
  4. Select Privacy from the top set of tabs, then select Accessibility from the left-hand column of options.
  5. Click the + (plus) button under the list 'Allow the apps below to control your computer'.
  6. Navigate to the Applications folder and select the Photoshop application (Photoshop and Bridge) and click Open.
  7. Both programs should appear in the list under the Privacy Tab. Click the Padlock and then close out the Window.
  8. Restart the computer.

This one didn't work.  I can rename files but it is when I try to use the "/" that it blocks me.  I'm ok with this.  Thanks for your help with this.  The time consuming issue is fixed!

Awesome!

It's still good to add Photoshop and Bridge to that list in the Privacy Tab / Section. It keeps various error messages from popping up in those programs. It's just a glitch with Mojave.

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Awesome!

It's still good to add Photoshop and Bridge to that list in the Privacy Tab / Section. It keeps various error messages from popping up in those programs. It's just a glitch with Mojave.

I did add them.  It just didn't seem to fix the "one" issue.  But they are there now!  Thanks again.