portable OCF

MamaMonkey

Hi Brian, I have a Canon 6d mark ii, a digibee 400 and an 86 in plm with the black cover and white diffusion panel.  I would LOVE to get something for lighting I can take outdoors on location.  I am so tired of shooting at higher ISO's when I *know* a better way exists.  What do you recommend?

Lighting...it’s a slippery slope. Yes, your thinking is correct, but the reality is you do truly do get what you pay for. I can recommend a $2000 Profoto Light or go even higher, or go less. Combine that with mounting hardware and accessories. So we will need to talk budget and give me a typical scenario of what you lug around on location. What are you photographing?  I’m sure it’s people, is it families? Headshots? 

• Thanks 1

OK, families, about 8-10 people max, conversationally speaking. I'm assuming that you are lighting them with your 86" PLM outdoors? What are you using outdoors currently? I need more info before I just tell you to buy a bunch of stuff. Remember, it's not just a light, but light stands, modifiers, mounting hardware, extra batteries, etc. etc.

Walk me through your typical scenario when shooting families outdoors. What are you using or is this just natural light stuff? What is your end-goal in the "Look" of what you are trying to achieve? Can you link to an example?

I have not been taking the PLM outdoors, I have been relying on natural light and I've come to not enjoy it!  haha I thought the PLM would be too cumbersome to take on location, but given I've never tried it I could be completely wrong. 

I'll link you to a family I just photographed that Damien helped me edit: 

ISO was 5,000 here.  I just know that if I had used an OCF this image would have turned out better and easier to edit. 

21 hours ago, MamaMonkey said:

I just know that if I had used an OCF this image would have turned out better and easier to edit.

If you used the right MODIFIER, and OCF...then yes, it would have turned out better. That's the secret to using OCF...it's the modifier. Walking around with a Lightstand, a 60" softbox, battery pack, sandbags, and dealing with a triggering system can be a real PITA on location. Now this type of thing is done all the time, but usually there are assistants to help you. Which adds to your overhead.  ;) Before we start really talking about all the gear, I want you to give this video a watch: Zack Arias - Family Portraits on Location. If that type of setup is something you would be interested in, then we can go from there. If you are more for the "Running and Gunning" style of flash photography, kinda like shooting a wedding, then that's another avenue we can explore. Basically, I want to make sure we are on the right path as there are so many freaking options out there.

• Thanks 1

But all that lightroom in that video ???  

5 hours ago, Brian said:

Walking around with a Lightstand, a 60" softbox, battery pack, sandbags, and dealing with a triggering system can be a real PITA on location.

This ? is why I've avoided finding a good lighting set up for outdoors.  It sounds so cumbersome .  I have a high schooler now so I have an assistant ?

Yes basically something like in the video would work, but I work with a lot of 2 year olds so run and gun might work better.

If you are chasing 2 year olds around, outdoors, I'm sorry...me recommending something like a Profoto B1 Air with a C-Stand, sandbags and 60" or larger Modifier just isn't going to happen. While it sounds good, it just isn't practical unless you really practice. In reality, I'd like to upgrade your Alien Bee to an Einstein 640 and purchase a Battery Pack for on-location work. If that still sounds cumbersome, then we need to break things down further.

So let's start with a basic flash, a Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT. $400 for a flash with that power isn't bad. The Nikon equivalent is around $600. I learned the hard way, it's just better (and cheaper in the long run) to just get the top-of-the-line OEM Flash. You can use that one on camera or fire it with triggers and use it off camera. For years, I thought about getting a portable Westcott Rapid Box 2-Light Speedlite Kit. The Canon 600 Flash will work nicely with those modifiers, and you will need two flashes to use both the octa and the strip light. Here is a video of them being used.

At a basic level, here is a 2 Speedlite Kit:

Grand Total: $1770.91. Plus any applicable shipping and tax.

Keep in mind, we didn't budget for a portable hand-held meter. When dealing with OCF, it's best to use a hand-held meter as your camera's built in meter is completely worthless if the Flashes are fired manually. The reason is the meter is reacting to the existing ambient light, it's not taking flash power into consideration. That's what TTL or Through The Lens Metering does. The PocketWizards allow TTL Metering, and though TTL is very handy to have, it's not Fool-Proof. Basically the camera does a quick calculation and tells the flash to fire at a certain power, based on the camera's meter. In reality, it doesn't always work well, and that's how you get "Icky Flash Photos" which causes Photographers to "Specialize in Natural Light."

If you are going to go the OCF Flash route and fire your flashes, you will need to pay attention to a few things. One is the Inverse Square Law, the other is how Shutter Speed (and ISO) controls Ambient Light and Aperture Controls what Flash Power that you use. I can explain more if needed. Until then, give this video a watch, twice if you need to:

Zack Arias Aperture/Flash Relationship

Now for fun, let's take a look at this Strobe: The Profoto B10 Plus Flash Head. 500 Watt Seconds will help you overpower the Sun (mostly) if needed and will be more versatile. If you were photographing indoors, say a sleeping newborn, you would need the 250 Watt Second Version. (Kinda like the equivalent to an AB 400) Yes, you read that correctly, $2100 for just the light. You still need mounting hardware, stands, battery packs, a triggering system. Basically we can spend $4000 - $5000 (or more) without even thinking. But the difference in the quality of light you get with a Profoto vs a cheap light like an AlienBee 400 is night and day. Profoto and the more expensive lights are extremely consistent and the bulbs that they use is so much better. AB400 lights tend to be all over the place and are notorious for producing hot-spots. Now before you "GASP!! THAT'S EXPENSIVE..." remember, I haven't gotten to the expensive lights yet. This stuff adds up quickly. It's very much like buying a set of drums. Sure the Drum Kit is $500, but the hardware, cymbals, stands, snare drum, etc. really increase the costs. It's the same thing with Flash.

• Thanks 1

I've heard good things of the ad200.  Would you not use a bigger softbox with it or just the magmod?  Someone else recommended the Godox V1 as a cheaper alternative to the 600 ex-ii.  Oh man, where is the money tree when I need it?  Haha!

For me, I typically shoot Weddings, so I'm always running-and-gunning. If you can afford it, personally I'd get a Profoto Light and be done with it. Of course, we are talking a few thousand here. More later. I've gotta run.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with shooting outdoors is Wind. So while it's very true that the bigger the modifier, the softer the light, those large Modifiers (Like a 60" Softbox) become REALLY BIG SAILS that cause all sorts of damage. I speak from experience. I didn't have a Sandbag on a light-stand and my 24" Umbrella that someone gave me flipped my flash on it's ass. It still works, but now has a big dent in the plastic from the Asphalt. So if you are going to be on location, make sure you have an assistant or at the very least, high-quality sandbags and sturdy light-stands, like C-Stands.

If I only hit the lottery: This light kit looks very interesting: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1585441-REG/profoto_sal_cincotta_b10_plus.html

The quest continues. Eventually I will come up with something that we both can afford. I also came across this Stella Pro Light Kit.

• Thanks 1

I would LOVE to get the profoto lights!! 

I actually do own a c stand and it is pretty heavy duty.  Scares the daylight out of me with the kids running around (I've only used it at home) because if one of them somehow tips it on another kid, I imagine it would hurt badly!  When I am able to get a good on location lighting equipment I will absolutely bring an someone to help with.  I have a little 33 inch translucent shoot through umbrella, a 36 inch black back white interior umbrella, and a 47 inch octagonal softbox as well.  Once upon a time I had a YN685 speedlight that died after about a dozen or so uses.  I definitely want more quality equipment!!