Masking in a New Background

Tmarch

This is an image from a session where I have used the wrong black backdrop, a thin one that shows wrinkles instead of my thick velvet one. With something like this, my instinct is to use the quick selection tool and mask a gradient background in. I can make it more acceptable in BW but this particular client wants colour as well as BW versions of this set of 20. 

For Damien River-02.jpg

Yes, I think it makes the photo more realistic to have the gradient remain a little. My usual method for this edit is to marquee select the edges and drag them out, but because I accidentally used the wrong backdrop in the studio, I have to manage the texture and material opacity out of it as well, which was why I thought a flat gradient background behind then cut out mum on top of it.

1092831316_River-02edb.thumb.jpg.cb97d212689d3f55b4aa07af9969c3c1.jpg

With noise added. Its odd, the banding wasn't visible in photoshop either time, only in the first jpg I uploaded. In fact, I see it is still there a little in this jpg but it is not visible on the file in PS or preview, only once its uploaded here. 

Edited by Tmarch
Extra info