First of all, I have a general problem in that I have two monitors that display colors differently, even after calibrating them both with the x-rite i1 pro. Monitor #1 is an integral part of my Dell Inspiron 5720 computer, and monitor #2 is a stand-alone Dell monitor. Both monitors are 27" (not sure that matters much), with maximum resolutions of 3840x2160 (monitor #1) and 1920x1080 (monitor #2). Here is how a particular photo appears on each of the monitors

Monitor #1

IMG_9833.thumb.JPG.52a605edffed807cb6579f240698dc4a.JPG

Monitor #2

IMG_9832.thumb.JPG.8222e2098a9575f2d5796b79ca7a524c.JPG

As for printing, I have only used my in-home Epson ink-jet printer. Its color rendition is much closer to that of monitor #2, but with a somewhat darker overall appearance. I took a photo of the print in a well-lit room to give you an idea of the comparison.

IMG_9834.thumb.JPG.c72d01bf1f3c190bb50aad2f436f425b.JPG

I am printing on matte photo paper rather than glossy - not sure how much difference that makes.

Dell PremierColor was enabled. I've disabled it and am ready to start a recalibration. I have these display settings:

White Point: CIE Illuminant D65

Luminance: 80 cd/m2

Gamma Tone Response Curve: sRGB (I previously used Standard, with Gamma set to2.2)

Are these OK? What do you suggest for "Adjust for ambient light"?

Thanks.

In your instructions, you list color settings of Warm, Normal and Cool.

The first monitor I'm calibrating (a Dell) has color settings of Warm, Standard, Comfort View and Cool. Should I ignore Comfort View and use Standard in place of Normal? 

My i1 Pro app has screens that differ from the ones you show. The first screen I get after selecting Display Profiling on home page looks like this:

image.thumb.png.15c7dc87870c576a43dd459a89d67cc7.png

If I hover over any element in the Display Settings panel (e.g. White Point, Luminance , or Gamma), so comments on suggested settings show up in the Help panel. Not sure what to do here for these settings.

Edited by Mike Comber
amended text in second sentence

Sorry for the question above, but I think I'm OK now. I just noticed that there are Basic and an Advanced selection buttons on the Home page. I was on Basic. When I switched to Advanced, I found the selection for checking uniformity and can now follow along with your instructions.

1 hour ago, Mike Comber said:

Sorry for the question above, but I think I'm OK now. I just noticed that there are Basic and an Advanced selection buttons on the Home page. I was on Basic. When I switched to Advanced, I found the selection for checking uniformity and can now follow along with your instructions.

For the record, my instructions DO tell you to switch to advanced.

How did the calibration turn out?

I see the instruction now to switch to Advanced.

I found the "warm" color setting on my monitor to give closest to 6500K (actually ranged from 6526-6769K). Process seemed to go smoothly, but not too sure of the end result - the "achieved" white point was 7442K. Maybe I did something wrong and should try again. The curves looked good in that there was no separation.

image.thumb.png.4c13abbd59deeced76efabeda588ed50.png            image.thumb.png.88f467d9d8588bbdbdfd156cd8a80809.png            

7 minutes ago, Mike Comber said:

I found the "warm" color setting on my monitor to give closest to 6500K (actually ranged from 6526-6769K). Process seemed to go smoothly, but not too sure of the end result - the "achieved" white point was 7442K.

That sure is odd.  Yes, it's most likely you'll need to do it again, with the next coolest preset.

But how does the screen-to-print comparison look?

Not too bad, colors are fairly close, but images on the monitor appear somewhat brighter.

I tried adding a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer in Photoshop and got generally better match with the prints if I reduced brightness somewhat and lowered the contrast by a smaller amount. Does this suggest I should change initial settings for calibration?

This improved things. I'm pretty happy now with the comparison between monitor and prints. Even got approval from my wife (she's got a much better eye for color than I do).

The monitor I calibrated is my second monitor. The monitor that came integral with the computer does not have any manual control over brightness, contrast or colors. I'm not sure how to approach calibration for this. At present, colors are way too vibrant and saturated.

Have done this, but no significant change. Tried again with luminance reduced to 80, but fundamentally the same result.

If there's no way to fix the problem, I'll just used my second (now calibrated) monitor for the color edits.