CC21 - scratch disc

CM21

Hi Brian, 

ever since the upgrade, I can’t allocate my LaCie drive as an extra scratch disc in preferences and keep running out of room. I was always able to before the upgrade without having to do anything to the drive. 

Last night in frustration I uninstalled photoshop and reinstalled. Now of course I’ve lost all my preferred settings ? but it still won’t let me select the LaCie drive. 

warm regards 

Christy 

I have a Mac laptop running Catalina  10.15 and Photoshop Cc21. It is over 2 years old, and has 32GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 38GB free out of 200GB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I rarely run a cleanup program.

13 minutes ago, CM21 said:

38GB free out of 200GB.

That's bad. You need that as close to 100GB Free as much as possible. Even if you got around 75GB Free, that would be better. Buy CleanMyMac X from MacPaw and run it weekly. Hit your downloads folder and delete all the crap that is in there. You'd be surprised on how much stuff ends up in there. Cull images. Delete-Delete-Delete the photos that will never see the light of day. With a 200GB Main HD, you need to be hyper anal on what is stored on that drive.

How full is the LaCie Drive? How is it connected to your Mac? USB or Thunderbolt? Do you use the LaCie for anything else, like Time Machine?

• Like 1

The LaCie is fairly new. It’s 3TB And has at least 2.5 TB free space. No, I don’t use it for time machine backup. 

it’s connected via USB. 

Do you know why I can’t use it as a scratch disc? 

In addition, head to your Apple Menu and select About this Mac. Click the System Report, then select storage. Post a Screenshot of that section for me, here is mine:

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.09.21 PM.png

Oh, to so a screenshot where you control what is selected, hit Command + Shift + 4. Then draw a box around the various screens that I want to see. What exact model is the LaCie Drive?

Interesting. I want to see what your Mac sees. The Storage Section under "About this Mac" is going to be really what I'm after. How much stuff is on this LaCie Drive? Is it important stuff?

Yes the stuff on the lacie drive is very important. It's all images from shoots. I keep every shoot on my harddrive to make more room on the Mac for editing etc. 

I thought it was 32 gb but its only 16gb. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.42.03 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.45.04 am.png

You gotta click that storage section in the left column to see the hard drives.

You are just under 18GB free on your main hard drive. THIS IS EXTREMELY BAD. VERY VERY BAD. YOU NEVER EVER-EVER-EVER want to go over than 80% full on ANY Macintosh HD. Once you hit 90%, you are in the Danger-Zone.  (...and not the cool Danger Zone like in Top Gun.) In fact, once you hit 95% full or above, your Mac is a ticking Time-Bomb and there is a good chance it will crash and not boot at all. Seriously, once you get that low on space with Macs, it is VERY POSSIBLE that your Hard Drive will start corrupting itself

You seriously need to stop worrying about your PS Scratch Disk and FREE UP SPACE ON YOUR MAIN HARD DRIVE. Like, right now. Photoshop is the least of your problems. There is a good chance that your HD is starting to corrupt itself and that's the reason that PS is being stupid. We may have to un-install and re-install Photoshop. But we will cross that bridge later.

Please purchase CleanMyMac X and run it. Also go through your Macintosh HD and start deleting stuff. We want our first target to be 75GB free instead of 18GB. The more free space, the better.

We will not continue until your hard drive has more free space. It's that serious.

Almost 75gb free.  I actually have no idea where the files are that are taking up space. I dont keep the raw files on my MacBook.  Ive always wondered what the "other" is on the storage bar. 

Can I continue now ? ? 

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 12.04.54 pm.png

This right here:

464977647_ScreenShot2021-01-17at9_58_06PM.thumb.png.2751df56ef5707b2c9f0dacfcc1f6a75.png

That's "Other" Space. It's what the OS deems as safe to delete, but doesn't until in needs that area. Often, it never goes away. Did you purchase CleanMyMac X? There is a spot in the Maintenance Section that frees up this area:

1527437740_ScreenShot2021-01-17at10_00_16PM.thumb.png.72ca2841f396374acc35a4ce822d8b63.png

You probably have another 75GB of space being taken up by junk in this "Other" section.

That’s fine. With a small HD, you need every GB you can get. How much free space are we up to, about 76GB or so? 

Can you post a screenshot of the storage section under “About this Mac” for me? (Click on Overview and then storage in the left column. Make your screenshot look like mine. I want to see the partition type on the LaCie.) 

No. That doesn't tell me anything. I need this:

1218104191_ScreenShot2021-01-19at4_58_33PM.thumb.png.d175eab56ebf503eb2682b18bc108b87.png

Apple Menu >> About this Mac >> System Report Button >> click Storage in the left column >> post a screenshot here. I'm really interested in the File System Column and what's listed.

Bad news. I'm stumped. It should work. By any chance, do you have an older copy of PS CC installed on your computer? It would be listed under the Applications. I'm curious to see if the EHD is listed in the older version of PS' scratch disks settings. The newest PS CC has been a real pain-in-the-ass with all sorts of goofy problems. PS CC 2019 is the most stable version around. You might have to contact Adobe on this one and see if you can get PS CC 2019.