Is there a way to recover images straight from the Camera?

CM21

Hi Brian,

I have messed up big time. Is there a way to run a recovery program using the camera as the source?  I dont have a card reader for the CF express card as yet and cant actually find one online. Is there a way to do this? 

Cheers, Christy. 

6 minutes ago, CM21 said:

Hi Brian,

I have messed up big time. Is there a way to run a recovery program using the camera as the source?  I dont have a card reader for the CF express card as yet and cant actually find one online. Is there a way to do this? 

Cheers, Christy. 

I found a card reader for the cf express but in the meantime, is it possible to run a recovery with the card still in the camera?

No. Use a card reader. 

When it comes to a Mac, all devices are treated like hard drives. So when you do get a card reader just use a recovery software package and tell it to look at the CF Express Card. 

Now I’m curious. Did you delete the images accidentally? Or we’re never able to open them at all? I’m not worried about previews. 

Also, Macs have a really hard time recognizing cameras to do data transfers normally and if you are throwing data recovery into the mix, it’s just not worth the aggravation. 

At some point, I will be purchasing this:

Sony CF Express / XQD Reader

Also, here is the thing with recovery software: it’s messy. 

You will get all sorts of weird files that you can’t open, nor see the previews for them. As for software, id recommend forking out the $60 and getting RescuePro Deluxe. Free software, while handy...doesn’t always give you the best results. 

Hi Brian, in desperation I brought licences for both Wondershare Recoverit and disk drill. Both said they recovered 17,000 images. It recovered images taken last year in Nov and Dec but none of the the ones that I am actually trying to recover. 

I know this sounds weird, but I changed my battery before the musical began, would that have somehow???caused me to lose those images. 

Only if the images were stored in the camera’s buffer and not written to the card. Do you have a Nikon camera? There is a stupid default setting that allows this to happen. If this is the case, I’m sorry those images went “poof” and are lost forever. :( 

What make / model camera do you have? Also, it’s good practice to power off your camera so that it forces any images in the buffer to be written to the card. If you pull the battery without doing this, stuff like this happens. Always power off your camera before swapping batteries. 

Never-mind! I see that you have a Canon EOS R5. This camera has the stupid feature like the Nikon cameras and it NEEDS TO BE DISABLED!!

1. Head to Shoot Menu 6
  2. Look for "Release Shutter without Card" and BE SURE TO CHANGE THIS SETTING TO OFF!!!

You do not want the camera to take a photo without a memory card. As I've stated above, ALWAYS power off the camera prior to swapping batteries. I also have a tendency to take a few test shots before any gig at the location. Then I will power-off-and-on the camera and look to see if the images are stored on the card. Then will format the card before things start happening so that you are sure to have a "fresh plate" to work off of. This only takes a few seconds, and makes sure things are writing to the card as glitches can happen. Plus, it's not a good thing to delete in-camera. I know I get push-back on this statement, with usually someone pointing out, "Then why do they have a delete button on the camera?"

While it's true that you can delete in-camera, and for the majority of the time nothing happens. But that one time that your images are corrupted or are trying to do data-recovery, it's much better to have the data written sequentially for the recovery software to utilize. When you have holes/gaps in the data stream is when things get harder to recover from. This advice comes from the Inventor of Data Recovery software for flash-based media, so I tend to believe him vs. some guy in a FB group that's being an ass.

For those who have Nikon Cameras and come across this thread and are wondering about the setting I was referring to, it's similar to what I pointed out in the above comment box.

Newer bodies:

1. Head to the Setup Menu (Wrench Icon)
  2. Look for "Slot empty release lock"
  3. Set it to LOCK.

Older bodies:

1. Head to the Custom Setting Menu (Pencil Icon)
  2. Look for "No memory card?"
  3. Set it to LOCK.

Other version:

1. Head to the Setup Menu (Wrench Icon)
  2. Look for "Slot Empty Release Lock"
  3. Set it to Release Locked.

All three methods accomplish the same thing, the camera will not take a photo without a Memory Card inserted. If you don't manually check this setting and disable it, the camera will take a photo and just store it in the buffer. When you power off the camera, those images will go "Poof" and will be lost forever. It's just not worth it and I can not understand why this setting is turned off by default. SMDH.

Hi Brian,  I definitely had a card in the camera at the time. I didn't touch the card. The only thing I changed was the battery. Im missing around 1500 files. 

I am so frustrated as I have no idea where these files have gone and none of the recovery programs have been able to recover them. ? 

Unfortunately, no. I'm wondering if you will need to mail them the card for them to recover. Data is data...and if there aren't any real places that do this sort of thing in OZ, you might have to bite the bullet. Honestly, mailing it internationally might be cheaper on wasting money on another piece of data recovery software to come up with null. Just a thought.

In the meantime, I'd set that card aside and purchase a new one.