Gradient Fill Dialog - Colour Picker Issue

With all the background replacement questions lately I’ve been questioning my own method for this. I’ve tried to follow this method

but am coming unstuck at this point:

When the Color Picker window opened, all I had to do was click on the brown above the hat, to choose it.  Then pressed OK:

I’m unable to choose a colour from my original image layer as I’m now on the gradient fill layer and I can’t get to the original layer without closing the Colour Picker window. What am I missing?

• Like 1

From memory when I do the selection and then add the gradient layer it pops up the gradient fill dialog box and the gradient layer is automatically already selected. How else can I get to the gradient dialog boxes without being on the gradient layer.

Oh, I think I understand what you are saying, Yes, I’m clicking outside the original selection, however this selection is now a mask on the gradient layer. Is this where I’m going wrong? The mask is created when I add the gradient layer after making the selection. And sorry, I’m sure this would be much easier with a screenshot

Ok, first screenshot is how I'm adding the Gradient Layer after making the selection (is this wrong?). In the second screenshot the I've marked with a red arrow where I'm trying to click with the colour picker. It however chooses the colour of the gradient.

2016-02-05_18-10-30.jpg

2016-02-05_18-12-23.jpg

and yes, I realise I don't have dither checked in this example.

and yes, I realise I don't have dither checked in this example.

**Update: I've worked it out. At the top Sample is set to Current Layer. I changed this to All layers and it works as expected now.**

• Like 2