ACR downgrade not playing nicely with Bridge

This is a brand new work MacBook Pro that came loaded with the latest version of Photoshop and Bridge. On the first day out, I wasn't comfortable with the "lightroomy" vibe and couldn't hold an aspect-ratio for cropping. My tech support downgraded Bridge 2021 so I could return to the "old" Camera Raw format 12.2.1. It says "Camera Raw successfully installed" but now Bridge won't allow me to "open in Camera Raw" the only option I have is "open in Adobe Photoshop (default). I can go to RAW direct rom Photoshop through "filters" so I know it's here, but I do not have the option to "open in Camera Raw" from Bridge. I now have Bridge v 10.1.1.16 and Camera Raw 12.2.1.

1 minute ago, Lorie said:

This is a brand new work MacBook Pro that came loaded with the latest version of Photoshop and Bridge. On the first day out, I wasn't comfortable with the "lightroomy" vibe

PLEASE dive back into class.  I've covered the new interface, you'll be comfortable with it in no time.

In the meantime, there are two ways to open raw files from Bridge.  One is Cmd R, the other is Cmd O.  Have you tried both?

Yes. Command O opens the files in Photoshop. Command R gives me a beep, that's it. 

I know I could get comfortable with the new interface, but when processing thousands of photos a week, the aspect-ratio thing is a HUGE time suck. 

No. If it opened to ACR I wouldn't have a problem and life could be happy again. I cannot open ACR from Bridge. I can only "visit" ACR from Photoshop, so I know ACR lives here. It just doesn't live in the right place. Oddly, it shows up as a filter in my Bridge... have zero idea why that is but it's probably something to do with whatever is ailing us. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 3.12.57 PM.png

No, don't confuse the  stupid Camera Raw Filter with the real Camera Raw.  They are definitely NOT the same thing.

Forgive me for asking the obvious question - are you SURE you're working with raw files?  You camera hasn't been switched to jpeg accidentally?

No, they're jpegs... media doesn't allow RAW files. I edit jpegs en masse in ACR. But I get the same message when trying to open RAW files. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 4.02.41 PM.png

They open in Adobe Photoshop (default). There used to be the option to "open in Camera Raw" Okay, here's something I just tried. If I click on a single image it will open it straight into Camera RAW, but if I select more than one image, Command O opens into Photoshop

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 4.18.28 PM.png

I did a search on Dropbox to find RAW files to see if they would work (I only had jpegs handy, it's mothers day and i'm not at work). I put the RAW files on my desktop and selected them from there. My Bridge doesn't "see" my dropbox

I don't have any RAW files on my internal drive. I suppose I could go take a photo or two. Give me a few minutes. Any special place you want me to deposit them? 

My workflow is generally to cull from bridge and open the keepers in ACR, not to download all of my images onto my drive. I'll drop these onto my desktop and go from there. Then I'll try the File>Open trick above. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 4.34.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 4.34.20 PM.png

K, it may in fact be the version issue you spoke of. I selected 4 images and Command O DID open them in Camera Raw.  So I think it's the jpeg issue which sucks balls because it's the jpegs that have to be cropped to 5 x 7

Well it looks like I am SOL, then. I can't submit RAW files (we're technically not supposed to USE RAW functionality) but i shoot jpeg/raw and save the RAW files in my NAS drive and send the 5 x 7 jpegs out. If there is no way I can hold onto the aspect ratio in RAW, there is no way I can work through the volume of images I take each week.  Maybe I need to f*cking retire. I