Lens focus

Hi Brian, I have a couple of images over on the premium members area and the focus isn't great.  I want to know if it's me or the lens.  Is there a good test I could do to check?

Thanks!! 

Sorry, It's you.

You are shooting in Hazy Light, pointed directly at the Sun. Remember, your camera needs something with contrast swing to lock onto and not all focus points are created equal. So while you might have put the AF point on the eye, it seems that you are a good bit back from the subject, and your camera is focusing on this little tiny eye and I'm sorry, your camera can only do so much. Even my fancy 2014 Flagship Model Camera, a Nikon D4s, would have blown focus on this photo.

So what do you do? Move closer. Or pick something else to focus on, like an arm in this photo and stop-down to f/5.6 or somewhere around there to get the Depth of Field deep enough for both the arms and face to be in "Acceptable Sharp" territory.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brian said:

Sorry, It's you.

You are shooting in Hazy Light, pointed directly at the Sun. Remember, your camera needs something with contrast swing to lock onto and not all focus points are created equal. So while you might have put the AF point on the eye, it seems that you are a good bit back from the subject, and your camera is focusing on this little tiny eye and I'm sorry, your camera can only do so much. Even my fancy 2014 Flagship Model Camera, a Nikon D4s, would have blown focus on this photo.

So what do you do? Move closer. Or pick something else to focus on, like an arm in this photo and stop-down to f/5.6 or somewhere around there to get the Depth of Field deep enough for both the arms and face to be in "Acceptable Sharp" territory.

I'd rather it be me than the lens!  Great explanation!! I shot the boy at f/5 1/500 and iso 1,000 and the girl at f 6.3 1/640 iso 1600