Clone Stamp Not Working

Hey Damien and co. I've just tried to use my clone stamp tool for the first time since resetting my PS preferences to fix a different problem and it's not working and I can't work out why. I've searched the AD FB group and can't find an answer. I've attached a screen shot of my workspace with the clone stamp tool selected. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 2.18.55 PM.png

No, I don't. I've kept trying with it and now it will clone but when I sample an area and then try to clone, it's only cloning like it's set to a fine pen kind of hardness and width, even though I have a soft brush selected. 

I also just tried using the healing brush on the background layer and that's not working at all either. No, I haven't restarted my computer because I only just turned it on before I opened PS.

(PS: you must always have your document profile indicator turned on, to make sure you don't have bigger problems with your color space.  And you should always do your cloning work, along with all other pixel edits, below your adjustment layers, not on top.)

6 minutes ago, Snook said:

No, I don't. I've kept trying with it and now it will clone but when I sample an area and then try to clone, it's only cloning like it's set to a fine pen kind of hardness and width, even though I have a soft brush selected. 

Basic question: you've tried increasing your clone brush size, right?

2 minutes ago, Snook said:

I also just tried using the healing brush on the background layer and that's not working at all either. 

What do you mean by "not working at all" -- what happens when you try?  And again, any pixel layers above your background layer?

I've turned on the document profile indicator and am in sRGB.

I have a Mac desktop running El Capitan and Photoshop CC. It is under 12 months old, and has 8GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 465.95GB free out of 999.03GB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I run a cleanup program about once a week.

Yes, I know I should do my cloning before my adjustment layers but I didn't. 

Yes, I've tried increasing the brush size and it clones a larger area but still much smaller than the brush size and it's very hard, unlike when I cloned prior to reset my PS preferences.

No there are no pixel layers above my background layer and by not working at all, I mean that I click on the spot I want to heal and nothing happens. 

I've restarted my computer and I've run a clean up with Clean My Mac since it was almost due to be done anyway and there's no change. The healing tool isn't working and the clone stamp is still doing the same thing. 

No, it's happening on multiple photos. 

I've just done random cloning on a fresh image so you can see what is happening. I've circled where I've tried to clone people's faces on to the building (obviously not my aim but it's easier to see than proper cloning) and written the brush size. On both spots I only applied the brush one time but brushed back and forth over a small area to build up the cloning a bit. 

Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 3.51.33 PM.png

Tablet. I just tried it with a mouse and both clone stamp and healing tool are working properly, so it must be the tablet settings! You're a clever, clever man, Damien Symonds. 

• Like 2

I had to google how to do it but I went in to my brush settings and checked the box for Shape Dynamics and locked it on with all the options set to off, because I don't like my pen being pressure sensitive. It's fixed both the clone stamp and the healing tool. :-)

Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 4.21.39 PM.png

• Like 2