It went well. Your instructions were very helpful!. The biggest change was the brightness on my computer. No surprises there. I had already reduced it after looking at the prints, but the calibrator took it lower. The neutral graph (I think that's what it's called?) was diagonally straight. The colors didn't appear to change hardly at all when looking at their before & after photos. It was minimal on a couple.

I think I'd like the monitor a bit warmer comparing to the prints. I manually adjusted the K to the next level of warmth. The next level was close. Maybe it's just the difference between a monitor and a print and I'm overthinking it...again 

I need to play with it in a recalibration when I have more time, and I want to calibrate my 2nd monitor.

One more thing - your article article on overhead lighting saved me! They were too warm; I had to change them. They guy at the local lighting store told me I needed 5500k lights because that's what department stores used to represent correct color & he had no idea the lumens for the size room. I live in a smaller town. Thank you for that comprehensive article!

• Like 1

I calibrated my 2nd monitor, LG HD. It was close to the prints when I started and it's close afterwards. During calibration I had to take the brightness down to 0 and that left a discrepancy of 86 to 80. The i1Display Studio screen instructions said if I can't get it to the desired brightness that the program will take that into consideration during it's final calibration.

I think that the prints are slightly warmer than both monitors, or the screens are slightly brighter. As you said in your instructions, that could be the difference between a print and a monitor screen. I don't trust my eye yet. I have a lot to learn! I think that they are so close that I should leave them as calibrated and then take another look after the Raw class. As I take more classes my eye will become more refined.

Question --
I noticed a setting on both of my monitors - Gamma. They are both set to Gamma 1. I think my tech guy set it to Gamma 1 when he set up my system(?) The options are Gamma 0, 1, 2 and Off. I went through the Gamma settings and  Gamma Off and Gamma 1 were very close. Gamma 2 was too saturated and Gamma 0 didn't work with a different tint.

I reread one of your monitor calibrations documents and I saw a note about 2.2 being preferred, but that it's handled in the profile.

Should I change my monitors' Gamma settings and re-calibrate, or leave as is?

Thanks...

Oops, missed your earlier response.

LG HD and LG Ultra HD 4k. I bought them in 2018. I'll copy below the description from my tech guy's email

LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K UHD Free-Sync Gaming Monitor, 3840 x 2160
LG 27BK550Y-B, Black 27" 5ms (GTG) 1920 x 1080, FHD IPS Display

And....I think I liked the Gamma Off setting the best. I don't understand what Gamma does so I left it on Gamma 1. I'm on my phone right now. I'll be back on my computer later this afternoon to take another look.

Thanks so much for taking a look at that. I had gone onto LG's website, looked at the specs and the 4K user manual but I don't know enough about Gamma to make an informed decision. Gamma 1 and Off are close, but the Off setting matched the prints a bit better. This was the same for both monitors. I changed it - thank you!

• Like 1