WTF Canon?? 9858 timelapse

PamB

WTF is this shit? Camera is a Canon 5D MkIV, lens rarely leaves the body. This is a shot from very early in the night. I have hundreds of these that I *was* going to put into a timelapse, but f* if I'm hand editing 411 shots. Any ideas?

1796383718_5D7A9858SOOR1.thumb.jpg.edf3470f9ff6b042ad4a9fc19a4401c8.jpg

390750828_5D7A9858ACR1.thumb.jpg.f6b53590acea4264012d25bbd49287d5.jpg

727913675_5D7A9858700.thumb.jpg.68285614395f5975b0d7caa9ba28729f.jpg

This isn’t a Canon / Camera / Lens problem. You can thank Elon Musk for this shit. You know that Starlink Internet that’s supposed to give internet access to remote parts of the globe? That’s one of those satellites. It’s only going to get worse the more satellites that he launches into space. You are just going to have to clone it out. Content Aware or the Patch Tool might be your friend on this one…or all 411 images. :( 

You also have high clouds and it seems your camera is stationary on a tripod. If you want tack-sharp stars, you are going to need a star tracker and a special filter known as a Bahtinov Mask. The SharpStar2 by Lonely Speck is one of these filters. But with a Time-Lapse, you won't need a Star Tracker since you want the Milky Way to move along the Sky, but a sturdy tripod or Platypod with a solid tripod head is mandatory.

Never mind!!  That will teach me to look at stuff on my phone.

You are talking about that horizontal dark line! That's sensor banding. This happens a lot with Canon bodies. Especially for sensors that are overheating with continuous long exposures, like for a Time-lapse sequence. See this thread, scroll down some...you will see some photos look almost identical to yours! How do you fix it? You don't. You send your camera to Canon and it will be repaired at around $500 or so to fix. Maybe more in 2021. :/

That being said, I've seen this software package being recommended a lot, PixInsight, and you will need to run the Canon Banding Reduction Script. The program isn't free, though there is a free 45-Day Trial. So you will have time to fiddle and make sure that it's worth the money. If you are going to do more shots like this one, it seems to be way cheaper than spending $500+ with Canon Repair. (IF Canon actually fixes it.)

I found this thread with a little bit of instructions on what I'm talking about:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/322183-north-america-nebula-canon-banding/