Are these laptops OK?

Hey Brian! Hobbyist here. My current laptop can't even open Photoshop so I think I need an upgrade ha. Which would be your pick of these options? Or any others you've seen around? It's also for my 9-5 job working from home. Hoping to spend around AUD $1500. Did read your post, so helpful!!!

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/laptops-&-notebooks/laptops/89207-s712ea-au024t?gclid=CjwKCAjwi9-HBhACEiwAPzUhHCbqTMBgBVm06J3VeK55BGUzSVwrLWFMFzmnAEAsP4VRmWnv3JtimBoC09QQAvD_BwE

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/asus-m515-15-6-inch-r7-3700-16gb-512gb-ssd-laptop.html

https://www.amazon.com.au/15-6in-i7-10750H-GTX1650Ti-Gaming-G512LI-AL024T/dp/B08BFHY6Q1/ref=asc_df_B08BFHY6Q1/?tag=googleshopmob-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463523065123&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3593015806891917021&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9071327&hvtargid=pla-943562782929&psc=1

Hi @nadine, Brian is away this week with limited internet access, so his answer will be delayed.

I'm a very poor substitute, but I'll try to offer a couple of things that I think Brian would say.

1 hour ago, nadine said:

Be aware that any displays that say "IPS level" aren't true IPS displays.  They're pretty good (I have one) but not as good as the real IPS displays that Asus used to put in their laptops.  It's a pity.

I'm confused about the graphics and memory in this one.  I'm afraid I can't tell whether they're good or not.  The graphics seems to be integrated instead of separate, so that might be a red flag.

1 hour ago, nadine said:

This one doesn't have its own separate graphics memory, so I think Brian will say to avoid it.

1 hour ago, nadine said:

Can you find a more comprehensive list of specs for this machine?  This link it is a bit light.

1 hour ago, nadine said:

The same warning here about the screen - "IPS level" is pretty good, but not as good as true IPS.

Will you be using the screen primarily, or will you be plugging a desktop screen in to edit on?

Thanks Damien, hoping to get away with just the laptop in the short term but if it simply won't do I'll progress to a screen plug in!

Hopefully more info with this listing

https://www.umart.com.au/Asus-ROG-Strix-G-15-6in-FHD-144Hz-i7-10750H-GTX1650Ti-512GB-SSD-1_55555G.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwi9-HBhACEiwAPzUhHAXCsExynQO-sE39CdQyI1n3mt4bn2JazKz4XHVgiHjmCCGrPtL4AxoCf40QAvD_BwE

Thanks.

I'm a ROG user, and a very happy one.  I'm sure you would be too.  As I said, my first ROG had a real IPS screen (it was so good) and I was disappointed to have to settle for an "IPS-level" screen for my second one, but it's still ok.

Awesome, I think that's enough of a recommendation for me. I'll go through Brian's posts again with a fine tooth comb and the specs later. Thanks heaps Damien  

I’m not digging that laptop’s screen. Here is why:

5FC98403-37BA-49A9-ADB2-EB49B13CCF51.thumb.jpeg.c7618e858bb6c89f70a4b7bc4b4bf07e.jpeg

The Asus ROG of today is not the same as ones years ago. I find that this screen is “Meh,” meaning better than a TN Type, but not as good as a true IPS screen. To clarify, if you not only want accuracy and consistency, and are charging people good money for your services, you’d better invest in an external IPS display and calibration device if you go with this model.

Plus, a 500GB HD doesn’t give me any warm-fuzzies either. 16GB is the bare minimum, too. I’n reality, you will only have 320GB or so to play with, after formatting , Windows, and whatever bloatware that is installed on it. 

New Laptops usually will have a 45 Day Lifespan, and then new models will hit the shelves. My advice: Wait. The chip shortage is forcing manufacturers to cut corners and features.

Not to mention this whole Windows 11 TPM 2.0 thing, which adds to the hassle of buying a laptop/ desktop in 2021. I suspect and expect a new laptop for in 2025 for a lot of people, including ones just bought in 2021.