monitor brightness 0, still lighter than prints

My screen is much brighter than my prints.

The "brightness" setting for my screen is at 0 on the menu, and my screen is still brighter than my prints.

I am going through your instructions for recalibrating (Spyder 4Pro for desktop) and I am at the "brightness" section. With my brightness down to 0 and the screen still being brighter than my prints, how do I move forward in calibrating? Do I continue the calibration and aim for 90 as my target? I'm worried if I make the adjustment to 90 for brightness in the calibration process my screen will be even brighter and will be an even worse match for my prints.

Spyder 4Pro is telling me my current brightness is 19.5 cd/m^2.. Will you tell me my next step(s)? Should I just move forward with calibrating and have my brightness target at 90 and see what happens?

(I'm also wondering how do you know when your monitor is dying...)

I didn't know this one existed. Thank you! I'll take the suggestion of looking into the RGB sliders and seeing where they're at. Then I'll decide whether or not to take the plunge and see what it does to the rest of the colors on the screen. :/

Thanks again.

Edited by amyb.
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2016 at 1:59 PM, Damien Symonds said:

Did you see this?

Well, the monitor is officially dying. Tried your suggestion and it did not work. Tried recalibrating and it also did not work. :( I'm coming to terms with it. Thanks for your post on which monitors to look at, it was a great starting point for me.

Edited by amyb.
  • Like 2