Lagging since Catalina

NancyA

I just upgraded to Catalina over the weekend.  Ever since, PS is lagging.  It takes longer to save a file, when I click on eyeballs to turn layer on off a lag, click on "\" to select masked lag, etc.  Stats are: MacBook Pro 2018, 2.9 GHz 6-core intel Core i9, Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, graphics Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB intel UHD graphics 630 1536 MB, 2 TB with 570 GB free.  Yes, I have a 50 megapixel camera but the computer has been handling them just fine until Catalina.  They have always taken awhile to load in bridge but PS ran smooth.  I have CMM and have run it several times and ran a deep clean.  My desktop is relative clean and my trash is empty.  I am bad about having too many things open but that's nothing new and with that said, I've closed everything and the issues are still there.  I'm also bad about opening too many files at once with no problem on Mojave and I only have one open with this happening.   I turn off every night.  Suggestions on what might be causing this?

Your Graphics card is the likely culprit. I think PS is using the extremely underpowered Intel UHD Graphics with only 1536MB. The modern versions of Photoshop rely on the Graphics Card for a performance boost. PS needs to be using the 4GB card. 

I hate the Mac Laptops with two graphics cards. You might want to call Adobe on this one. I’m about to do some Googling. 

I just read through that link which some was over my head but it did say to keep everything updated.  I am running PS 22.52.  I was afraid to go to 23 but think I should?  Sorry there is no edit button so I couldn't combine these last three thought :(

On 11/1/2021 at 9:12 PM, NancyA said:

So basically you are saying there is no solution since I can't change the graphics card?

Yep. The video drivers are part of the MacOS. They aren't available separately, at least to my knowledge. You'd have to call Apple on that one. If you want to change the graphics card, you are buying a whole new Mac. This isn't a Windows Computer. It's a Mac. ;) 

On 11/2/2021 at 1:26 PM, NancyA said:

Sure.  Hopefully this is what you want.

Under the "Use Graphics Processor" checkbox, there is "Advanced Settings." Click on that and post a screenshot.

Try turning off Use Open CL and 30 Bit Display. Then restart Photoshop. Any better or worse? If worse, you can always turn them back on.

Also, lower your History States from 95 to 50. If you edit properly, you don't "Need" any more than 50 undo items.

One more thing, I told you the wrong spot to change a setting. We need to disable "Automated Graphics Switching." HERE are the instructions. It seems this is a Setting with the MacOS and NOT a Photoshop setting. My bad. I have a iMac, not a Mac Laptop, so I don't always see the ALL the options/settings because I have a desktop.

I already had the automatic graphics switching turned off.  Do I leave the below recommendation of change it back?  History is lowered.  I've turned off CL & 30 Bit.  It is working some better I realized later the point I got so frustrated I was working on a rare 16 bit image.  It is much better with the 8 bit.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:04 PM, Brian said:

Found this:

Open Photoshop  

Choose System Preferences > Energy Saver, and then deselect Automatic Graphics Switching.

Close Preferences and restart Photoshop. 

Source:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 2.05.00 PM.png