Driver updates

Hi Brian, Photoshop just gave me this lovely message and when I press the update drive link on the window it takes me here https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html  which tells me to go to the NVIDIA (which is what I have) website to update the driver.  I thought I read in a different thread that I should do it through windows updates?  

details on computer health

I have a PC desktop running Windows 10 and Photoshop 23.0. It is almost 2 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 644GB free out of 915GB. The last time I shut down was last night. I run a cleanup program about once a week.

driver update.JPG

Edited by MamaMonkey

What Make/Model is your computer?

The reason that I ask, is that if it's a Dell or HP or whatever, you will need to get the driver update from the Computer Manufacturer's support website.

While Windows Update can offer some driver updates to hardware, it's almost ALWAYS better to get drivers from either the Video Card Manufacturer or the Computer Manufacture. Using Windows Update should be a last resort when it comes to drivers for hardware.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2021 at 8:36 PM, Brian said:

Dell.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Put your Service Tag or Serial Number in the search box and it should take you to a page with driver updates. Dell also has a utility that you can download and it scans your system and installs the updates.

annd it's back and now my computer locks up every second :(  Checked the Dell website and it clams everything is well.  

It's worth a shot. It could also screw your computer up even more. Hard to say. You might have to bite-the-bullet and go back to an earlier version of PS CC. Let me know what happens.

Just now, Brian said:

It's worth a shot. It could also screw your computer up even more. Hard to say. You might have to bite-the-bullet and go back to an earlier version of PS CC. Let me know what happens.

Just in case, how do I go back to an earlier version of CC?  To clarify, everything is getting stuck.  The internet, word, everything.

Un-install the current version, use the Photoshop CC "Phone Home to the Mothership Thingy" to download the older version. If you click the three dots next to Photoshop in the App, you should see "Other Versions or Older Versions."

1599140438_ScreenShot2021-11-12at3_43_15PM.thumb.png.9895fb8b349594d3e8af18fd337142e8.png

That's how you get the older versions.

5 minutes ago, MamaMonkey said:

To clarify, everything is getting stuck.  The internet, word, everything.

You have other issues than just Photoshop. Oh boy.

Alright, are you familiar with opening a Command Box as an Administrator? I will warn you, there is only so much I can do in a Hardware Forum. You might have to take your computer into a repair faculty, not Geek Squad.

Or you might just want to call Dell and see if they can help.

10 minutes ago, Brian said:

You have other issues than just Photoshop. Oh boy.

Alright, are you familiar with opening a Command Box as an Administrator? I will warn you, there is only so much I can do in a Hardware Forum. You might have to take your computer into a repair faculty, not Geek Squad.

Or you might just want to call Dell and see if they can help.

Yes I can open the command box.  I hope it isnt a bigger issue ...2.5 sessions to edit 🤪

Go to the Start Button, type CMD, but before you open the Command Box, click "Run as Administrator." You can also right-click on CMD.exe in the Start Menu and select "Run as Administrator."

Then when the command box appears, type:

sfc /scannow

Press Enter.

This will run the Windows System File Checker. Let it do its thing when it runs, it will take awhile.  It's a basic test and hopefully it finds something wrong and repairs them. If not, I have a few other commands.

Oh, one more thing, try disconnecting any external hard drives or other peripherals and see if the locking-up issue goes away. Isolate your computer.

7 hours ago, Brian said:

Go to the Start Button, type CMD, but before you open the Command Box, click "Run as Administrator." You can also right-click on CMD.exe in the Start Menu and select "Run as Administrator."

Then when the command box appears, type:

sfc /scannow

Press Enter.

This will run the Windows System File Checker. Let it do its thing when it runs, it will take awhile.  It's a basic test and hopefully it finds something wrong and repairs them. If not, I have a few other commands.

Oh, one more thing, try disconnecting any external hard drives or other peripherals and see if the locking-up issue goes away. Isolate your computer.

sfc /scannow did not find anything.  The dell diagnostics failed to complete -  it stopped and rebooted my computer and a screen was open that said that.

OK, load another CMD box, run as administrator and type the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

(actually, just copy/paste that line above to keep things simple.)

Hopefully it finds something. Otherwise it could be a hardware issue or software corruption that Windows isn't detecting. Also, have you run Windows Updates recently? If not try that. I have found that a lot of Windows Computers will behave oddly when there are several Windows Updates pending.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

OK, load another CMD box, run as administrator and type the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

(actually, just copy/paste that line above to keep things simple.)

Hopefully it finds something. Otherwise it could be a hardware issue or software corruption that Windows isn't detecting. Also, have you run Windows Updates recently? If not try that. I have found that a lot of Windows Computers will behave oddly when there are several Windows Updates pending.

That found "no component store corruption detected. "  I'll check windows update now.  I thought it was sets to auto update, but I'm not 100% sure.  I'm leaning towards it being a NVIDIA issue.  When I started up my computer today I clicked on the NVIDIA settings icon on the bottom right of my screen and got this:

message from nvidia.JPG

Windows Update ALWAYS LIES!!

It will say that there are no updates, and that it checked on blah-blah-blah date/time, but as soon as you click "Check for updates," it magically comes back with updates.

I agree, you have a driver issue. I'm thinking the Microsoft Driver is not 100% compatible and is screwing things up. Dell Computers and MSFT Drivers don't always play-nice and the Microsoft Drivers sometimes royally screw things up. That's why I always tell people when they have Dells, is to got to the Dell website and get the Dell Drivers. Especially the "Optional" MSFT driver updates, I never trust those and learned the hard way.

Case in point, my Wife has a Dell XPS and I went onto her computer to do basic maintenance when she was away on a trip with friends. Against my better judgement, I installed an "Optional" update that immediately caused her computer to lockup, produce a Blue Screen of Death, then reboot. I spent the next 6 hours yelling, "Shit-Shit-Shit!!" and "God Damn Microsoft!! She's gonna be home tomorrow!!!" etc. etc. I eventually was able to figure out what driver that caused the whole mess and her computer was fine. 

Moral of the story: Don't trust Microsoft Drivers, especially the ones that relate to Dell's Hardware.

You might have to un-install the Microsoft Video Drivers, reboot and then re-install the latest Dell Video Drivers. I'd use the Dell Drivers first, before the NVIDIA OEM ones. Those are a last-resort.

I clicked the check for updates and it said everythings up to date, so that part should be okay, right?  and NEVER do the optional MSFT updates, ever (I haven't -- just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly!) I'm a little scared after your story!  I'm not tech saavy enough to get it back if I get a blue screen of death 😬 You don't think it's a combo of all 3 fighting with each other (dell, microsoft and nvidia)?

When I am in the settings and search for driver I see this:

list of drivers.JPG

I also saw these for NVIDIA:

nvidiaappsandfeatures.JPG

Which should I uninstall or am I in the wrong place completely?  Thanks for explaining all of this to me and helping me!  Not a fun way to spend a saturday! lol

Display Adapters.

461773131_ScreenShot2021-11-13at2_46_56PM.png.d309f54502d6035a9cf4dbfdf790bf12.png

Click the Arrow, and you should see a list of your Video Drivers. Right click and choose, "Uninstall" Then reboot. Windows should detect them when you log in next.