Backgound fixable or replace?

CanonGirl

I have two issues with this background - color contamination from the window light, so I have bluish color going in spots, and wrinkles (it's off white jersey fabric, the wrap is more cream color).  I thought an easy fix would be just sampling a lighter color from the background in front of the baby and paining with it.  Of course I used lower opacity going over the shadows (to prevent "floating" effect), and guess what I created - gradient which equal banding in print.  I tried adding some noise, but it only helped some.  I am not sure how to replace the background without loosing the shadows on the blanket.  What is a better way to fix this background?  Including a photo that's been adjusted in ACR (let me know if it needs to be larger, this one is 1500x1000 pixels)

FX1A3883e-low.jpg

OK, so this is pretty close to what I was trying to do, and does produce some banding, but the suggested amount of noise does help break it up.  Now when I try to add a bit of a vignette, I end up with a lot of banding, and have to add a lot of noise to get rid of it.   I guess I'll have to do some test prints to see if the noise will be visible.  I do have another question though, is there a reason you create and use pattern to add noise to the grey layer, instead of just adding noise via Filter>Noise>Add Noise?

FX1A3883e-low 2.jpg

58 minutes ago, CanonGirl said:

I do have another question though, is there a reason you create and use pattern to add noise to the grey layer, instead of just adding noise via Filter>Noise>Add Noise?

Yes, because you can't add noise to a Solid Color layer.  And anyway, even if you could it would be a bad idea, because it would be applied permanently, and you wouldn't be able to come back and adjust its strength layer.  When the noise is a separate pattern layer, you have all the control at your fingertips, with the Opacity slider of the layer.

11 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Yes, because you can't add noise to a Solid Color layer.  And anyway, even if you could it would be a bad idea, because it would be applied permanently, and you wouldn't be able to come back and adjust its strength layer.  When the noise is a separate pattern layer, you have all the control at your fingertips, with the Opacity slider of the layer.

Maybe I didn't state my question properly.   I am wondering why add noise via pattern rather then adding noise to the grey layer (like you would have done in the creation of the noise pattern)?  In other words why "edit>fill>pattern" instead of "edit>fill>50% grey", and then "filter>noise>add noise"?  Is there a difference between the two methods, or is it just another way to skin the cat?

7 hours ago, Samantha LaRue said:

Because you already did this when you created the noise pattern. Once you created it, you can save it and use it on other images and will save yourself some time in the future. Did you see this tutorial yet?

Yes, I saw it, this tutorial is what actually prompted my question.  Damien answered it, so I am good.  Thank you!

7 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Yes, because it means it's only one step instead of two.  Save time wherever you can!

I actually had the one with more steps already made into an action.  And now I made the "pattern" way into an action too, so I have both methods available at one click of a mouse :-)  I think originally I was not using enough noise to break up the banding, I was only applying it at 2%  And I was painting in front of the baby too, so it made it look more fake-ish.  Keeping the front of the blanket untouched really makes the difference.  Thank you for helping out, and clearing up my questions!

• Like 1