Scanning: print vs negatives

I've inherited my grandparents' photo collections and have images that are both in negative and print form.  Am I better to scan the negative or the print?  (I did do a search to see if this was answered elsewhere in the forum, but no luck.  My apologies if you've answered this before!)

I see from looking at some of the photo restoration posts that having a negative is preferred. 

But, after reading your articles on on resolution and the size of digital files, I don't understand how starting out with a much smaller negative is the better way to go, when the file size of the scan ends up being smaller than 6MP.  I think I'm missing something on the interaction between resolution and the number of megapixels an image file has?

Thank you for your time and help!

I'm planning on renting the Epson V850 Pro, if you recommend doing prints, as I have other prints that I need to scan that I don't want to send out.

If you recommend negatives, I'm thinking I'll send them to a scanning service, as I have some bizzaro sized negatives and no holders for them. I'll ask for tiff files and 48 bit scanning, but a question about the resolution -- they offer scanning at resolutions of 1200, 2400 and 3600 DPI.  The smallest negatives are about an inch square, the largest about 2x4 inches.  I know you recommend 1200PPI for items 2x3 inches and smaller.  Should I be asking for higher resolution scans?  I'm planning on making photo books, and the largest images I would do is likely 8x10.