COMPUTER CRISIS and limited options

Hi Brian
I am in a IT Crisis.

Short story (needed for context).
Laptop (bought at Harvey N pre photography, yes Brian Hermans I now know about them but it is what it is) - Broke.
Got credit with Product Care (unable to get cash pay-out)
Bought Desktop - as per research - got this one.....
HP Pavilion i7-11700F/16GB/1TB SSD/RTX3060 12GB Gaming Desktop
And it has been pure anguish. I take it it is a Window's 11 dilemma - again I know but options aren't a lot at Harvey Norman and again it is what it is. But the computer keeps on loosing Wifi connection - and I am now up to the replacement of the replacement and it is still doing the exact same (and nope it's not a wifi/internet problem)

So I am back to square one - So would love to hear if you have any input on the following computer for editing?
MSI MAG Infinite S3 i7-11700F/16GB/512GB SSD + 1TB HDD/RTX3060 12GB Gaming Desktop
- will upgrade the RAM to 32GB
or any other suggestions?
Thank you!!

Tried a new Router. Tried to use my phone's Hotspot. Still happens? 

Currently it connects - but then once it disconnects I have to restart the entire computer to get it to connect again.... My IT-limited brain hurts thinking about it. 

Ooh...this is a tough one. MSI makes great stuff, and I'm leaning towards that brand, but the 1TB for the main drive in the HP is better. Spec-wise, the HP looks better on paper. But I like MSI's stuff. Basically, the only thing that concerns me is that small-ish 512GB HD.

You can't go wrong either way. But 32GB RAM and getting a 1TB Main HD would be the best. Maybe you can upgrade the MSI? See how much it will cost you extra.

• Like 1

Can you also hook up via a hard-wired Ethernet cable instead of stupid Wi-Fi. I hate Wi-Fi. So much that I ran Cat 6 Cable in my house. It's too bad my wife won't let me cut holes in walls to get it to the 2nd floor. LOL!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, if you get Windows 10 Pro, there is a way to keep it from upgrading to Windows 11. Unfortunately, most store-bought computers come with Windows Home Edition. You can always upgrade it to "Pro," and most people don't "need" Pro's features, but basically all of the stuff under the hood is turned on with the Pro version and this allows you to help fix things in the future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

Can you also hook up via a hard-wired Ethernet cable instead of stupid Wi-Fi. I hate Wi-Fi. So much that I ran Cat 6 Cable in my house. It's too bad my wife won't let me cut holes in walls to get it to the 2nd floor. LOL!!

Did that - insert me throwing it out the door. As we think this is a good computer? but somewhere it is having a hissy fit

Rather MSI over Macbook? Mac is super expensive for exactly the same thing? but again I have limited options available due to store credit

Mac Laptops are a complete waste of money...and this is coming from someone who is typing this sentence on a fancy 27" iMac Computer. Apple is and has always been a "Go Big or Go Home" company. You are spending a lot more money going with a Mac Laptop. Combine that with the fact that they are switching all of their computers to the M1 architecture, Adobe has not worked out all the bugs yet. I wouldn't recommend getting a M1 Mac...soon to be a M2 Mac in the next few months for at least a few years.

Even if you spend lots of money on a fancy MacBook Pro, you are only getting 4-5 years out of the damn thing and I really don't like "leasing" my computer for $1000+ per year, well that what it works out to be.

The only think about that MSI model is the 512GB HD. It doesn't sound bad, but you don't have 512GB to play with, probably around 300 or so, after the Bloatware and Windows OS is installed. Then you need to be hyper-anal on what gets put on that HD. Basically, it's only one or two programs. You won't be able to go "Next-Next-Next...OK...Next...Finish" without thinking. Every program, every file, every little thing...you will need to check on if it's being sent to the C Drive or the D Drive. Everything defaults to the C Drive and before you know it, you are running out of room and then you will be posting in here wondering why your brand-new computer is running "Soooo Sloooow...."

Save yourself the grief. 512GB is great for a couple of programs and general computing. As soon as you throw Photoshop into the mix, your needs change and you are no longer a "General Computer" user.

• Like 1

Why are you using VPNs? I know security blah-blah-blah. Or you desperately want to watch TV Shows that are only available in a different country?

21 minutes ago, Brian said:

Mac Laptops are a complete waste of money...and this is coming from someone who is typing this sentence on a fancy 27" iMac Computer. Apple is and has always been a "Go Big or Go Home" company. You are spending a lot more money going with a Mac Laptop. Combine that with the fact that they are switching all of their computers to the M1 architecture, Adobe has not worked out all the bugs yet. I wouldn't recommend getting a M1 Mac...soon to be a M2 Mac in the next few months for at least a few years.

Even if you spend lots of money on a fancy MacBook Pro, you are only getting 4-5 years out of the damn thing and I really don't like "leasing" my computer for $1000+ per year, well that what it works out to be.

The only think about that MSI model is the 512GB HD. It doesn't sound bad, but you don't have 512GB to play with, probably around 300 or so, after the Bloatware and Windows OS is installed. Then you need to be hyper-anal on what gets put on that HD. Basically, it's only one or two programs. You won't be able to go "Next-Next-Next...OK...Next...Finish" without thinking. Every program, every file, every little thing...you will need to check on if it's being sent to the C Drive or the D Drive. Everything defaults to the C Drive and before you know it, you are running out of room and then you will be posting in here wondering why your brand-new computer is running "Soooo Sloooow...."

Save yourself the grief. 512GB is great for a couple of programs and general computing. As soon as you throw Photoshop into the mix, your needs change and you are no longer a "General Computer" user.

Thank you for this. Mac is out then. 

Thank you for taking the time - Harvey Norman came up with another option.

Option 1 - windows 11 preloaded....eeeek

Option 2 the 512GB again....

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/rog-strix-ga15-r7-3700x-16gb-1tb-ssd-rtx3060-12gb-gaming-desktop.html

$2799 happy to do at same price so no difference to switch and RAM would go across.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/predator-orion-3000-i7-11700-16gb-512gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-rtx3060ti-8gb-gaming-desktop.html?

Similar to this one but specs are as below..

i7, 11700, 16gb (standard), 512GB + 1TB, RTX3060 12GB graphics, W11

$300 EXTRA

$2998 RAM would go across fine.

Edit - we did upgrade to 32gb so that's the RAM she's referring to

Edited by Larese
more info

It is just the worst time to be in the market for a new computer!! You really need a 1TB drive, and you are stuck with only one store with limited options. Unless it has a 1TB drive, don’t brother linking, it’s a waste of time.

Each of the computers that you are linking to are “fine,” it’s just the blasted 512GB HD. You can always replace/upgrade it at a later date. But if you are stuck with Harvey Norman, you are kinda stuck with what they are offering. 

Why is 512GB such a big deal? It’s because your HD just isn’t for storage, but for areas on the HD treated as RAM. The two primary ones that most photographers deal with are the Photoshop Scratch Disk and the Windows Pagefile.sys, aka, the Windows Swap File. 

These two areas are treated as RAM to supplement the lack of resources from you computer. Each browser tab you have open, each program, every image, every background process, every hardware driver, all of it… takes a little slice of resources. So in reality, you won’t have 32GB to play with, that’s why it’s so important to upgrade to 32GB in 2022 and honestly? 64GB isn’t bad to have either. Especially if you have a high MP camera body. (36MP or more.) 

So back to the HD. 1TB just gives you a little more “breathing room” than a 512GB model. You don’t have to think as much. Why are the manufacturers only putting in these small drives? Because they are cheap and we have shortages due to COVID that still haven’t gone away. Just like here in the States we “almost” get a Gallon of Ice Cream or that box of whatever has two less packets of ________. This is a way to keep prices down and give the manufacturers the ability to keep their “Bragging Rights” of 15 Second or less boot times that you get with the Flash Media Based HDs. Make sense? At the end of the day it boils down to this:

i7 or i9 CPU

A video card that has a dedicated GPU and dedicated Video Memory. I like 8GB of Video RAM. PS usually plays well with NVIDIA Cards. I like the NVIDIA GTX3070, but a 3060 should also work nicely  

1TB Main Drive

32GB RAM

So whatever computer you end up getting, as long as it has those Four Main Items, you should be fine. Remember, everything is cheap shit made in China, all of it. The parts / computers might be assembled somewhere else, but the individual components that make up the parts are almost always made in China. 

Bottom Line: Try to get the “Best Bang for your Buck.” You can deal with a 512GB HD or purchase a larger one and see if a local repair shop will clone the drive for you and install it. It sounds like Harvey Norman doesn’t offer this sort of thing or wants to deal with it. Yes, we can move the Windows Swap File and PS Scratch Disk to the 2nd HD, but again this is a temporary fix and you will need to be Hyper-Anal on what is installed on the C Drive. 

• Thanks 1

I like MSI’s stuff, followed by the Asus ROG model for $2799. At the bottom of my list is HP. If I had to make a choice, with a gun-to-my-head, it would be the Asus ROG for $2799 with RAM upgraded to at least 32GB. Honestly, see if they can keep the existing RAM and add more, bump it to 48GB if possible. 

• Like 1

Hi Brian! Thank you for the in-depth answer really appreciate it. The computer (HP) was doing a-okayish and then decided yesterday while I was busy with @Damien Symonds Bridge Class (BTW - SO COOL!!!!)  that it would start going craycray again - see screenshot - so it's finally decided that it's going back and I am choosing a different model. I will be taking the Asus Rog and hoping for the best. 

Thank you again!

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-02 at 20.08.13.jpeg

• Like 1

You need to stop with the VPNs. At least for now. Unless you need one for work? Also, you need to be careful as some computers may already have a VPN installed that is part of a Security Suite Package. Are you in a Concrete Building? Are you getting packet loss even if you hook up via a hard-wire Ethernet connection? If so, you might have wiring issues from your house to the "Pole" or wherever your house is connected to the outside world.

Told you that HP was my least favorite! But do you listen to me? LOL!! Pththththpppphhh!!!!