12TB G-DR

Hi Brian. I plan on purchasing this drive to back up my 4TB SSD. This drive will remain off site or in a safe. I read that I will need to format it for Windows. Is that something I can do, or will you guide me through that process?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1641577-REG/sandisk_professional_sdph91g_012t_nbaad_12tb_g_drive_usb_3_2.html

4 hours ago, Kathy1 said:

Is that something I can do, or will you guide me through that process?

Yes. And Yes.

Many External Hard Drives come partitioned in a format known as exFAT. The reason is that it works with both Windows and Mac. Sounds really good right? Wrong. Hard Drives using exFAT are not bullet-proof, not in the slightest, and I would not recommend that partition type for your average computer user. A Techno-Geek who doesn't care if their drive goes Ka-plooey? Sure. You and me, nope. :)

If your are on a Windows Computer we need to convert it with a GPT Partition Type and a NTFS Partition. It sounds more involved than it really is, this whole process should take you about 5 min or less.

If you are Mac, we need to do a similar process, but format it for use with the Mac.

Which computer do you have and I will move the thread to the appropriate forum.

The important thing is to not go too quickly!! Follow them step-by-step. The other member must have read it too quickly and was on the wrong blasted HD. :)

Hi Brian. The drive arrived today and I tried to follow the instructions you provided in the above link. I got to where I was to Delete Volume. That was grayed out and nothing happened when I clicked on it.

Screenshot (83).png

Screenshot (82).png

6 hours ago, Kathy1 said:

Stuck now at the GPT instruction. That is not showing up.

Because it's already a GPT Type. See how the partition is WAY bigger than 2TB? Plus it says "Convert to MBR." That only shows up when it's a GPT Disk. ;)

Continue onto Step 10.

• Thanks 1