Test print size

I am preparing to order my test prints in advance of receiving my calibration tool.  Is there a recommended size to print for comparison?  Obviously, they don't need to be poster size, but didn't know if there was a preferred size to use.

Also, what type of finish should I apply?  I have the option of "Lustre Paper" or "Deep Matte Paper".  I assume Glossy and Metallic would never be an option for this type of comparison.

Edited by Jon Tyler

Now, my next question regarding the test prints...

May I upload my selection of prints to make sure I have covered all the bases you mention in the prep article?  These are images that I had edited, some a while ago, before I took the RAW class, and I have re-edited them, from a clean CR2 file (no XMP).  I have 11 files ready to submit for printing.  I will be printing more than six because there is a minimum order amount ($16) at WHCC, who I already have an account with. 

Ok, here are the ones I am prepared to print.  These have only been done with RAW processing, per the flowchart you provided in class.  They were exported as JPG to 2048 on the long edge, and I think 80% quality to upload here.  The prints to be sent off are done at full original resolution at 100% quality JPG with sRGB profile.

Morgan_opt.jpg

20150321_154213_SaturdayFun_57_opt.jpg

20151029_0144_opt.jpg

20151127_0456_opt.jpg

20160306_0573_opt.jpg

20160417_1235_opt.jpg

20170420_0003_opt.jpg

20170805_0024_opt.jpg

20190803_0219_opt.jpg

20200126_0045_opt.jpg

IMG_8365_opt.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jon Tyler said:

The prints to be sent off are done at full original resolution at 100% quality JPG with sRGB profile.

The hell they are.  NEVER send full original resolution files to print.  Always crop them to the exact size and resolution you intend to print.  What resolution does your lab ask for?

I am not seeing any direction on their website for resolution.  Only that it be printed at 100% Quality in Photoshop.

(From their website)

image.thumb.png.7813e13a0309fe7a63098a5ee2c955c5.png

I just order the size in ROES as a 5x7 print.

It says 300ppi right there.  That's what you use.

Crop your files to 5x7 inches at 300ppi, then save at level 10 quality as it says - NOT maximum.

I wouldn't use the purple flower photo, because there's too much chance that it'll be out of gamut.

Any or all of the other prints are fine.