Which Calibration device for MacBook Air.

Hi Damien,

My apologies if you have answered this question, I'm still very much learning in regards to calibration. Which calibration device would you recommend for a MacBook Air with M1 chip, retina display? Ive been looking at the Spyder X Pro & Spyder X Elite.  Is there one recommended more over the other for this laptop, or another one you would recommend?

My prints came back darker than whats on my screen, and the colour seems slightly off. My screen colour profile is currently set to Colour LCD.

Thank you for your time,

Rachael

Thank you for your help. I’ve done some research and this is what I can find, does it appear that it will work with my MacBook Air? B2190590-5FC3-43E8-BB0D-A26524B78DCC.thumb.png.3307d865f4ff01f75bbe2ab8c20701bf.png75F86DC5-6E3D-4EFF-9538-6A8F2A3E7FB2.thumb.png.6c72e25697c96b7a04f3da5e69d12aa7.png

My display is 2560 x 1600 and version 15.0.

Thank you for your time and help,

Rachael 

E2226457-048D-4D59-9E84-375808B5B6D7.png

Just placed an order for it! 

Would you be able to give me your thoughts on my workspace? I’ve read your article about ambient light, which is something I honestly never even thought of. I’ve been trying to make our basement the only place to edit to stay consistent, as we hardly get any natural light through the one window down here, so it’s the closest I can get to a “windowless nook”. Our basement has two light fixtures, each with 3 5000k daylight bulbs in them. The lights are able to turn in different directions as well. I’ll attach some photos of my set up below, and would greatly appreciate your thoughts and what I should change. 

Don't mind the mess, kids, and we run another business, so it’s an all in one playroom/workspace.

Thanks again!

Rachael

B5B0212A-9854-41DA-9AC0-40CF986A870F.jpeg

08D1B394-B892-41AE-B894-E66318826A4A.jpeg

29A12C74-F974-4135-B067-27FFC297E258.jpeg

B428510A-C0B1-4963-9994-0347DFC68A58.jpeg

I wish your bulbs gave a broader "spread of light" if you know what I mean.  Very directional light like that can be problematic.

But it looks like you've chosen the best position in the circumstances.  Lights above your head is ideal, and the wall is nice and neutral in colour.

Yes I totally understand what you mean. Unfortunately it’s not the best lighting down here, but this is the best we’ve got! 

Thank you for your input! I’ll keep it as is! I’ll touch base when the calibrated arrives!

• Like 1

Hi Damien!

I received my calibrater and followed your instructions. Everything seems pretty bang on, however reds, and oranges appear to be  a little more saturated on my screen. Just wondering if this common as I know they won’t be identical, but it seems very close!

Thank you!

Rachael

I had printed a couple photos where the client was wearing red, and when seeing if they matched to the prints the reds on the screen seemed more saturated than the actual print. Not by a ton, but noticeable for me.

Another photo was of my nephew and he has darker skin, which is being recognized as orange when editing. On the screen he looks more saturated than on the print if that makes sense. Like I said, it’s not a huge amount of I do notice it! 

Forgot to add, I did need to re calibrate as my prints were warmer than my screen. I followed your instructions with the screen temp divided by 100, and the prints matched much better.