Wally SXP

Can you please advise which display technology I should be choosing for this monitor?

https://www.benq.com/en-au/monitor/photographer/sw270c/specifications.html

All of my previous attempts to calibrate using the SpyderX software have looked terrible so I have been using the Benq Palette master software to calibrate.  Up until now this has worked fine and calibration has matched my prints nicely.  But now something weird is going on.  I have a grey backdrop in my studio but dragging my WB sheet in ACR turns it olive green in the photos.  I recalibrated (using palette master), the screen again matches my prints and dragging the WB sheet still turns my grey backdrop olive green.  

So I want to try an get the calibration right with the SpyderX software.  Up until now I haven't been able to find out what the display technology is.  I contacted BenQ but they wouldn't tell me.  They just told me I should be using palette master to calibrate.

Ok so I chose wide and got what I think are pretty good results.  My prints still match my screen (as it did before the recal) and at the end when I click the comparison button between calibrated and uncalibrated there is almost zero difference.  I assume when the SpyderX software shows you calibrated images vs uncalibrated images it is just comparing the new calibration with the previous one??  Anyway, I still have the same problem.  The backdrop in this photo is grey.  After dragging the WB sheet it turns green.  Is it possibly cast from the skirt onto the WB sheet, although that doesn't seem likely.  Are you seeing grey and then olive green?

sooc.jpg

after wb drag.jpg

7 hours ago, Wally said:

Ok so I chose wide and got what I think are pretty good results.  My prints still match my screen

Great.

7 hours ago, Wally said:

I assume when the SpyderX software shows you calibrated images vs uncalibrated images it is just comparing the new calibration with the previous one??

That's my understanding too.

7 hours ago, Wally said:

Anyway, I still have the same problem.  The backdrop in this photo is grey.  After dragging the WB sheet it turns green.  Is it possibly cast from the skirt onto the WB sheet, although that doesn't seem likely.  Are you seeing grey and then olive green?

sooc.jpg

after wb drag.jpg

It's just because of the nature of indoor light.  It changes over a very short distance.  This is perfectly normal.

Thanks for your help on this.  There is no indoor light here.  These were taken with studio strobes in a completely dark studio.  You literally can't see your hand in front of your face if I turn the lights off and I've used this backdrop many many times before.  I've racked my brain to think what may have change as far as light leaking in or indoor light accidently left on but can't come up with anything I did differently with one exception.  I got a new studio strobe.  I'm wondering if the LED modelling lamp in the light is causing some weird colours.  Its a professional strobe so this should be the case but I'll do some testing today.

• Like 1

Old studio strobe looks something like this from closest to furthest.  5200/-3, 5200/-4, 5200/-2, 5200/-3, and 5200/-3.  Hold fire and I'll post the new light results.

old light 1.jpg

old light 2.jpg

old light 3.jpg

old light 4.jpg

old light 5.jpg

Ahh, so that the sheet is moving further away from the lighting each time and more likely to change due to influence from other lighting sources bleeding in?

Yes, old lights are very close to true colour, new lights are not.  This might sound like a silly question but if I know that a light is negatively influencing the WB by 1200/-3 can I do some simple maths and compensate for it in post?  

Just now, Wally said:

Ahh, so that the sheet is moving further away from the lighting each time and more likely to change due to influence from other lighting sources bleeding in?

Right.  And make sure your focal length and everything else remain exactly the same.

Just now, Wally said:

This might sound like a silly question but if I know that a light is negatively influencing the WB by 1200/-3 can I do some simple maths and compensate for it in post?  

No.  Whites must be white, no matter what.