Printing and crop factor

Hey, ok so I may be late to the party but all of my photos have been for instagram use only (no prints required)

Now that I have done a few photos for people where they are wanting to print I am discovering a whole new issue with cropping and being able to print. I rang a photo lab to get some advise and she was SOOOOO rude! I know I need to know this stuff but I don't. So please tell me what I need to set my camera to or what not to do when editing/cropping. Photo example below. I did this edit and as I have cropped it and it is now square my client won't be able to print this without it cropping her in half. Same with the wedding i did. I just went to print a family shot and it cuts their feet off. I know i know I should know all this! There is just so much to know.

IMG_8574.jpg

Another example 😪 just so you can see the image size

Screenshot (179).png

and now i instantly feel sick 

Ok so once I get to PS i save as a PSD (no editing in photoshop has been done)

Then once editing as been done example levels etc etc then save again?? This is where I am confusing myself I think. 

Then I crop it and save as a jpeg for my clients? Then delete the jpeg? So once I crop it they now won't have an issue with printing? far out im sorry for being so daft  

2 minutes ago, shalea said:

Ok so once I get to PS i save as a PSD (no editing in photoshop has been done)

You don't have to save it straight away.  But it doesn't hurt.

2 minutes ago, shalea said:

Then once editing as been done example levels etc etc then save again??

Save (by hitting Ctrl S) frequently as you're editing, so you keep your PSD file up-to-date (in case you have a computer crash or a power outage).

But don't save multiple PSD files of course.  Only the one master PSD file.

• Like 1