CC PS message - your graphics processor is incompatible

Hey Brian - hope you are doing well. I guess a few things on my computer are out of date and/or haven't been updated. I opened CC PS for the first time, and received this message. Not sure what to do and looking for help from you.

I have a Dell XPS 8700 - is there other information you need?

Thanks - Jennifer

graphics processor incompatible 6-6-22.jpg

You aren't the only one. The recent version of PS is requiring a lot more from the Video Card (Graphics Card) not only for a performance boost, but for fancy tools like Content Aware and Liquify. What that error means is your video card's drivers are out of date AND it's extremely under-powered for the current version of Photoshop. You have two choices:

1. Find an older copy of PS CC that's still available and use that from now on.
  2. Replace the video card and possibly the power supply to support the new video card.

Since a "Good Video Card for Photoshop" will run you around $900, and a few hundred more for the power supply, plus installation, now maybe the time that you make a hard assessment about your current computer and start saving for a new one. 

22 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Is the good video card running that much bc of chip shortages?

Yes. Also Crypto-Mining primarily uses video card GPUs, due to them being so fast.

I like the  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB line of cards, particularly the MSI VersionKeep in mind, you will need to more than likely upgrade the power supply when you install one of those cards. Here is the card on Best Buy.

Take a look at this thread, it's about Dell XPS 8700 computers and the lack of space for these large video cards. While I do recommend the Dell XPS line of computers, it's always better to purchase the bigger/better video card when you configure things. Otherwise you end up in the situation that you are in. Here is the power supply that is recommended, due to it being able to fit correctly in your case, but it's out of stock with no ETA.