External MAC issues

NancyA

I have tried all 4 ports.  ALL 4 recognize the G-drive (G-drive thunderbolt to MAC ports (mounts). 

With the G-drive in thunderbolt port, it just keeps rebooting my system now even when not trying to do anything.  Trying to type this response it rebooted it twice and had to turn off.  I am ready to just send it back if you think that is the solution.

Since I cannot get the my computer to work with the G-drive thunderbolt 3 lighting ports to my 2018 supposedly USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports, do you have a recommendation for a different desktop external that will work on this model?  I am going to return this one since you said not to use it with G-drive USB-C to my thunderbolt 3 ports.  

I have several years ready to transfer to a central large external.  I reformatted a 5 TB portable PC to a MAC portable external.  All my PC external's that I need readable on MAC work so I think everything is going smooth except for the G-Drive Thunderbolt 3 port to my computer.  It continues to shut down my computer just being connected.

Thanks!

First, I'd return that drive. Something isn't right. It could be the G-Drive or even your Motherboard since we are now tapping into its full potential. Basically, you've had an existing problem that you never knew about and now it's too late to do anything about it.

As far as using a TB3 port over a USB-C 3.0, that's more about throughput (speed) than anything. Thunderbolt 3's speed is 40Gbps vs 5Gbps. So using a Thunderbolt Port with an external is like using an internal drive, because TB3 is so much faster. This is what I want you to do:

1. Exchange the Drive. If the new drive does the same thing, then you have a problem with that 2018 MacBook.
  2. In which case, I'd just use the USB-C Ports and get any important data off that old laptop, because that motherboard could also develop more problems and then you are screwed. 

I'm really thinking that 2018 Mac Laptop has issues, since your brand-new laptop works fine with the TB3 ports on the G-Drive. It "could" be a compatibility issue, but this is 2018 we are talking about, not a date like 2011. It should work.  

12 hours ago, Brian said:

I'm really thinking that 2018 Mac Laptop has issues, since your brand-new laptop works fine with the TB3 ports on the G-Drive.

Lynne is the one with new MAC. I only have the one which is 2018 and yes it has port issues. I’ll exchange the G- drive and see what happens.

Thank you. 

A quick review--I have a MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7 processor 2.9 GHz six core intel core i9. Memory 32 GB. Graphics Radion pro Vega  20 4 GB Intel UHD graphics 630 1536 MB.  I'm trying to get everything backed up to one external from multiple small WD externals.  You recommended G-drive Thunderbolt 3.  I got one and it kept shutting down my computer.  You recommended sending it back and getting another one in hopes it was just a bad one.  I returned the 1st but they were out of any more.  I just now got the 2nd one.  It is recognized and writes to it for awhile.  I tried one folder, copied no problem.  I then tried copying a full year.  It seemed to work but after coping several it shut computer off.  On rebooting I had a "grayed out " folder.  I created an alias of that folder and about half the year's files were there.  I moved the rest by one subject at a time and that seemed to work.  Went to next year.  Tried about 6 subject files, they copied.  Then next batch it hung up.  I've been doing this with 3 years worth of images and have decided it isn't worth the hassle or time it takes to figure out what is in the grayed folder when it reboots plus I do not trust it.  It appears even though I have the lightening ports they are not working properly--your earlier thought was my motherboard is going out.  I have tried one on each side and they do the same thing.  What would be your 2nd recommendation?  Use this as USB-C on the external so someday down the road I'll have a Thunderbolt 3 port that will work or go with something like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1719109-REG/sandisk_professional_sdphf1a_012t_nbaad_professional_12tb_g_drive_enterprise_class.html

Thanks!

On 10/25/2022 at 8:52 PM, NancyA said:

I can't find an edit to above

Click the three dots above the comment box:

693348406_ScreenShot2022-10-30at3_40_25PM.thumb.png.498d94008b942dda9f81cc6cd7ea12b5.png

On 10/25/2022 at 8:48 PM, NancyA said:

It appears even though I have the lightening ports they are not working properly--your earlier thought was my motherboard is going out.  

I am now more convinced your Motherboard has issues. This should not be happening. But since this is a Mac Book, I'm not surprised.

Yes, I would try using the plain USB-C ports and see if you can get a good data transfer. Start slow and be methodical. But if there is something wrong with the controller chips that make the Thunderbolt ports work, it doesn't matter what type of drive you use, you still could have issues. Garbage Out = Garbage In / Garbage In = Garbage Out. Corrupted Data is just as bad as lost data; in either case, you can't do anything with either.

2nd options:

1. You are uploading things to a Cloud Service, which will take FOREVER
  2. Investing in some sort of NAS and transfering the data via a SMB connection. (Basically, your own Private Cloud Storage.) This way you can transfer files over WiFi / Ethernet and skip using the Thunderbolt / USB-C Ports, which I do not trust on your computer.
  3. Buy a new Mac and transfer data through a Ethernet Connection / WiFi.

This is a tough call. You can try using a plain 'ol external drive that's non-thunderbolt and see what happens, but I'm thinking we are going to be talking about you buying a NAS of some kind, which will be a bit pricey.

I'm headed out of town for 2 weeks.  I have been able to transfer using the USB-C port so far with no issues.  I have moved 2 years on to the G-drive moving them one year at a time and they went with no issues.  I have all the files on more than this one G drive and will leave them as backups for now.  I'm not too excited about buying the new Macbook pro because it is significantly heavier/bulkier than my 2018 one.  I will not upload to a Cloud Service due to time. I used one when I had a PC and kept it updated with no major time issues.  When I changed to a MAC it said something like 5 YEARS to upload my files.  Needless to say I dropped that!  I'll do some NAS research when I get back.  Thanks for all your help!  Hope you had a great vacation.