usb c to multiple usb c hub advice

Yvonn.ie

Hi Brian

we had a web convo a few months ago re ext hard drives, at the time I asked about unplugging without ejecting as my laptop only has one usb c port. You mentioned a usb hub might be needed. So I went looking and literally the ONLY one I could find was this10GbPS Sitecom CN-386 one (on Amazon at least), and a 5GbPS version by the same brand. 

https://amzn.eu/d/9IJq8pB

bought it and it's not working - once I pludded it in, my machine hung for ages and then when it woke back up, neither the card reader nor the ext drive that I have plugged into it are being found, and I got an I/O device error. So I'm sending it back. Not sure if it's a faulty one or just not compatible, but it says plug and play, and compatible with all operating systems. 

Are there any others out there, it seems from the reviews on Amazon that this is a really unserved requirement in the market - what did you have in mind when you suggested I needed a USB port, cos I really do, it's annoying to have to keep unplugging stuff that I use daily! 

Thanks!!

To be honest, im surprised there aren’t more available. Plenty of USB 3.0 Powered Hubs, but no USB-C. 

If the hub is causing issues, don’t use it. (Obviously.) 

There is a lack of choices on this side of the world, but I found this one:

Satechi 4-Port USB-C Hub – Data Transfer Only (No Charging/Video) – Compatible with 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro & Max, 2020 MacBook Air/Pro M1, 2021 iPad Pro M1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satechi-4-Port-USB-C-Hub-Compatible/dp/B09BNXMHSL/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?crid=39GFEKE8AFPIF&keywords=satechi+usb+c+hub&qid=1662918231&sprefix=satechi+%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-18#

Now, if you still have issues, I’m going to assume that your USB C port on your computer can’t handle multiple devices or doesn’t have enough power to support them. In which case you are looking at a new computer. :/ 

thanks Brian, it did say that it only supported ext drives with 7.5w power, I wasn't sure what my one that you recommended (SanDisk Professional 6TB G-DRIVE, 7200 RPM Enterprise-Class Desktop Hard Drive)   had , but when I asked on Amazon someone said as it's externally powered that it shouldn't matter. I'm a bit clueless but maybe that was the issue. Though the SD card reader wasn't working on it either, it was showing up but didn't work to transfer the files. 

I'll try that one you posted (thanks) and failing that, I think it's more likely I'll just keep unplugging than stump out for a new computer! 

thank you as always

That G-Drive has its own power. All 7200 RPM Drives need more power. The slower 5400 RPM drives can usually work without AC Adapters. 

I know people have love-affairs with laptops, but unfortunately, people tend to use them as desktop replacements. Combine that with Manufacturers cutting corners and you may not be able to use a hub, regardless what you buy because your laptop has limits. You’d think otherwise, because that’s logical, but USB-C is still kinda new on the scene (though it’s getting better) and hopefully manufacturers will start beefing up the USB-C ports, because there are variations of it. 

For example, your laptop might only want one device at a time hooked up to it, since the manufacturer cut corners and it doesn’t have enough power. You as a photographer might want to hook up a card reader and theee external HDs at the same time. There may not be any resources available to drive 4 devices. It should, but like I said, it doesn’t always work. 

I hate laptops. ;) 

• Thanks 1