Why is Lr lagging at times?

Gera

I just build a system in hopes I'd get zero lag whatsoever with Lightroom, but for some reason every now and then still happens to lag a bit with simple tasks. I'm sure the program itself is not perfect, but with the set up I got, I was hopping to run as smooth as butter.

i7 13700K
RTX 3060
32 GB DDR5-5600 CL36 RAM
Samsung 2T 980 Pro

Where did I mess up?

The RTX 3060. 

There is about a 30% performance jump if you would have went with the 3070. 3080 is a little better and a 3090 is a waste of money when it comes to Adobe’s Products. So I always recommend a 3070 or 3080. 

I think there is also another set of drivers from NVIDIA that works better. Might want to start there. 

Also, the 980 pros have had issues, the 870’s are much better. So it could be a a drive thing. Keep an eye on it. 

I still think it’s a video card issue or a video card driver issue. Adobe’s products rely on the GPU for a performance boost and for the fancy tools like content aware to work. Even ACR primarily uses the GPU in order to function.

In 2023, when it comes to Adobe’s Products, the choice of video card is more important than the CPU!!! 

1 hour ago, Brian said:

The RTX 3060. 

There is about a 30% performance jump if you would have went with the 3070. 3080 is a little better and a 3090 is a waste of money when it comes to Adobe’s Products. So I always recommend a 3070 or 3080. 

I think there is also another set of drivers from NVIDIA that works better. Might want to start there. 

Man! I don't know what the heck I'm thinking... I do indeed have the 3070.

Where do I exactly get or choose from those drivers? I thought that stuff was standard...

Screenshot_20230222_081200.png

Edited by Gera

On 2/22/2023 at 9:10 PM, Gera said:

I thought that stuff was standard...

You can't use the Microsoft Drivers if you want to utilize performance from the manufacturer's products. The Microsoft stuff is basic, as in...it is there just to get things working. If all you were doing was watching Netflix, using Word and Excel, checking e-mail and using a Business App or two, wasting time on Facebook, the Microsoft Drivers are fine.

If you want performance and want to have fun...you need OEM drivers. Even for things like the Motherboard's Chipset Drivers. I'll bet you just installed Windows and called it good. I'm thinking there are a lot more drivers out there that you need to get the most performance out of your PC, and unfortunately, the manufactures don't go out of their way to inform you of things. :D

But to get your Lightroom issue fixed, you need the NVIDIA Studio Drivers for the 3070. NVIDIA even put out some marketing literature and they specifically mention Lightroom!!

Go figure...LOL!! 

So head to NVIDIA's Website and get a set of Studio Drivers. You do not want the "Game Ready Drivers" for obvious reasons. Now, there seems to be a difference between a 3070 and a 3070 Ti, so make sure you pick the one for your card. Here is a screenshot of what it should look like:

73873824_ScreenShot2023-02-24at6_48_46PM.thumb.png.aa2bb2994a10a9f3904b5e60e832c2dc.png

Please note, there is also a Windows 11 option, so if you are running Windows 11...choose that Operating System. Basically, start at the top and work your way down. Install the Drivers, reboot and see if things are better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian said:

If you were a Gamer that Streams and a YouTuber, I would. For editing photos. Nope. Skip it. 

Figured... so I skiped it.

Side note... would you please allow me to buy you some tacos? I've played with this thing for a few minutes and so far I can tell a difference. One would expect Nvidia to install those drivers on its own... why wouldn't they!?!?!

Thanks again, Brian!

Edited by Gera

I like Tacos...

Buy Brian some Tacos

9 hours ago, Gera said:

One would expect Nvidia to install those drivers on its own... why wouldn't they!?!?!

For the very nature of Windows Computers: The unlimited combinations. Microsoft covers this with basic drivers to get things working, so in a sense your wish is a reality. But I agree, there should be a piece of paper in the box with at least a web link written that tells people to "Go here and use this scanning tool" and then downloads the appropriate drivers.

Sidenote: Since you built your computer, head to the manufacturer's website for your Motherboard and see if there are any Chipset Drivers or other Motherboard Drivers, maybe even a BIOS update. You'd be surprised on just how much faster your computer will run when it's off the Microsoft Drivers. Speaking of which, every time that Windows does a MAJOR update, you should scan for new drivers for your various devices in your computer. You'd be surprised on how Microsoft loves to "Butt-In" on your existing drivers. In fact, I would come up with a Checklist of sorts that you should do every 2-3 months to make sure things keep running smoothly.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

You'd be surprised on how Microsoft loves to "Butt-In" on your existing drivers.

What in the actual fck? LoL

The things you learn asking on internet forums... 

Oh yeah...

You have to be careful with some of the Windows Updates. Especially when MSFT thinks their BIOS update is "better" than the current one you just downloaded, from the manufacture, that's newer than the MSFT one!

Just to confirm... I did notice an improvement after updating the drivers using Nvidia's. I don't know if it made a difference, but I also updated the mobo's bios also. Everything seems to be going well for now.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:14 AM, Brian said:

Are there any other drivers for your Motherboard? Specifically the Chipset Drivers? 

There was something with the chipset drivers with the latest date of Oct. 2022. I downloaded it and installed anyway. We'll see what it does. :D

That’s fine. The chipset drivers for your motherboard make things go faster Vs using the MSFT Drivers. It’s not huge, but is noticeable. 

On 2/28/2023 at 8:14 AM, Brian said:

Yep!  That’s what I wanted you to do. Are there any other drivers for your Motherboard? Specifically the Chipset Drivers? 

So... I updated these drivers yesterday and noticed now that my keyboard and mouse take some time (about 30-45sec) to "start working" on my log in screen.

Is that supposed to mean anything? LOL

Hmm...

You might have to remove those drivers that you just installed. There is no 100% sure-fire method to drivers. You basically have to figure things out on your own and if something breaks, figure out how to undo things. I've been doing this same thing professionally for the last 30 years. The trick is remembering what you did to fix things. :D 

But I thought you installed the drivers awhile ago and things were working? Also, after you log into Windows, have you re-seated the USB cables for the Keyboard and Mouse? Which USB ports are they in? Most of the time, the Keyboard and Mouse work best that are located just beneath the Ethernet Port on the Motherboard.

@Brian would there be a particular reason why disabling the GPU in the performance tab made increased performance a little bit? I feel my rig is pretty damn slow considering what I have. Sometimes it cant take up to 10 seconds to just open the masks section. Am I hallucinating?

Also, would adding more RAM help?

And yes, GPU drivers are up to date.

Edited by Gera

On 4/15/2023 at 1:35 PM, Gera said:

disabling the GPU in the performance tab made increased performance a little bit?

Yes. Because LR doesn't either like your Video Card or it's Drivers. So by turning it off and forcing the program to not use what it doesn't like, is a work-around.

More RAM certainly won't hurt. 64GB is the place to be in 2023, with 32GB at a Minimum or for non-photo-editing work. Especially if you have a high Mega-Pixel count (45MP or more, Hell...even 36MP is high.) I know my computer wasn't happy with my large D850 Files until I upgraded to 64GB.

If you are able to run the NVIDIA Studio Drivers meant for your 3070, it should work fine. But you might want to call Adobe on this one. I'm kinda out of ideas.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:05 AM, Brian said:

Especially if you have a high Mega-Pixel count (45MP or more, Hell...even 36MP is high.)

If you are able to run the NVIDIA Studio Drivers meant for your 3070, it should work fine. But you might want to call Adobe on this one. I'm kinda out of ideas.

Dude... I'm on an R6 LOL...

I did get the specific drivers from Nvidia...

Would Windows 11 be the problem too? It is also certainly not acting the same as 10. There are some weird things happening. Can I downgrade without loosing data? Do I need to purchase 10 separately? I stupidly went straight for 11...

:(

Edited by Gera

1 hour ago, Gera said:

Would Windows 11 be the problem too? It is also certainly not acting the same as 10.

Yeah...probably. Windows 11 still needs more time in the proverbial "Oven." I'm not touching it until I absolutely have to, and that's in 2025.

Downgrade without losing data? Unless you JUST upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, it's not very likely. Too risky. You would have to Nuke your main HD and install a fresh OS. What I would do is purchase a 1TB SSD Drive, like a Samsung 870 and swap out the current main drive. This way you can always go back in time if need be. I'm not sure how licensing will come into play, it is possible you can use the existing license key with Windows 10 that came from Windows 11, provided that it's the OEM Version. But you might have to contact MSFT on this one. Or you can install a copy of Windows 10 Pro and not activate it to see what happens with LR before you commit. I also highly recommend Windows 10 Pro, as it's easier to install things locally, (tell it you want to join a domain and then don't,) as the current "Home" editions FORCE you to add the license key to a Microsoft Account. I'd hate for you to spend $199 for Windows 10 Pro when you don't have to.

On 4/19/2023 at 11:11 PM, Brian said:

Yeah...probably. Windows 11 still needs more time in the proverbial "Oven." I'm not touching it until I absolutely have to, and that's in 2025.

Downgrade without losing data? Unless you JUST upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, it's not very likely. Too risky. You would have to Nuke your main HD and install a fresh OS. What I would do is purchase a 1TB SSD Drive, like a Samsung 870 and swap out the current main drive. This way you can always go back in time if need be. I'm not sure how licensing will come into play, it is possible you can use the existing license key with Windows 10 that came from Windows 11, provided that it's the OEM Version. But you might have to contact MSFT on this one. Or you can install a copy of Windows 10 Pro and not activate it to see what happens with LR before you commit. I also highly recommend Windows 10 Pro, as it's easier to install things locally, (tell it you want to join a domain and then don't,) as the current "Home" editions FORCE you to add the license key to a Microsoft Account. I'd hate for you to spend $199 for Windows 10 Pro when you don't have to.

FML... *sigh*

Thanks again, Brian.

The other thing that comes to mind, is to make sure you have the Manufacturer's Drivers for the Motherboard. I have seen OEM Chipset Drivers make a HUGE difference in performance vs the default MSFT Drivers. You really might want to look at the whole "Ecosystem" or Hardware Setup and chase down any bottlenecks; it might be very possible that I am wrong. This is the hardest thing with Hardware and building stuff, all the tweaking...it's trial-and-error and no one way to fix things. You have to fiddle. It sometimes takes HOURS. But...it's also how you learn.